How Soon Can You Swim After a Tummy Tuck?

Swimming and tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Tummy Tuck will depend on several variables

+1

Hi there-

To a large extent, your ability to participate in any particular activity will depend on your individual healing, your surgeon's technique and preferences, and the details of the activity planned (in other words, there is swimming, and then there is Michael Phelps swimming)...

Talk to your surgeon about your desired activity- only they will be able to give you the most responsible answer.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Swim after a tummy tuck

+1

Only aftyer ALL the incisions are healed from 3 to 6 weeks is the time frame I recommend. But you should ALWAYS follow your surgeon's advice.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Swimming after a Tummy Tuck

+1

There is nothing inherent in a Tummy Tuck that would prevent you from swimming. Once the drains are removed and drain openings are closed (2-3 days later) you should be able to swim IF you feel up to it.

When your dcotor says you can.

+1

Patients heal at varying rates and cases vary in size and complexity. I like the wound to be sealed before I allow patients to immerse themselves in water. This is usually a week or so after the drains are removed or 2-4 weeks after surgery in most cases.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon