Is Sonobella Better Than Smart Lipo or Regular Liposuction?

I was looking into liposuction or what they call Smartlipo and came across Sonobello. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews and I scared of making a bad decision. Help?

Choose your liposuction surgeon carefully

+3

There is so much confusion in the marketplace about liposuction, mostly because of marketing claims. There are 3 things to consider: who is best qualified to do it, where is it best to have it done, and what is the best technology/technique. Since liposuction is surgery, you should ask carefully about your plastic surgeon's qualifications and experience. And all plastic surgery, including liposuction, should be done in a fully accredited surgical facility. Finally, remember that it is the surgeon, not the technology that makes the biggest difference in your outcome. Laser lipo (smart lipo and others) has been hyped to the extreme, often with frankly incorrect statements such as enhanced safety. The potential benefits of adding the laser to the lipo procedure are highly debatable but since the laser can cause burns and tissue damage it has  an inherently greater risk.

As for Sonobello, all I know is that here in Washington State they have had at least one well-publicized death following a laser lipo procedure, and there are something like 2 dozen complaints with the medical board under investigation.

The best liposuction machine is the surgeon.

+3

The type of machine used for liposuction makes no difference. It is the skill of the surgeon that counts. Pick a surgeon with a great deal of experience and you should have a good result.

SonoBella vs SmartLipo

+3

If you research this closer you may find that the physicians at SonoBello use the SmartLipo technology in addition to other technologies.  Be sure to inquire as to your physicians' qualifications, training, and experience and ask to see pictures of patients that this physician himself/herself has performed, and possibly even talk with some who have had the procedure done as well.  All of this will help you to establish rapport and confidence with your physician and to evaluate his/her credentials.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Confusion about liposuction terminology

+1

Sonobella is basically a production line liposuction center.  The procedures are performed under local anesthesia.  Some excellent plastic surgeons work for this center.  The techniques for liposuction are developed through experience and have nothing to do with inventive names and gimmicks.  It is real surgery with real risks and complications.  

Smart liposuction vs tumescent liposuction

+1

In my professional opinion and from what I have heard from other plastic surgeons who have used "smart liposuction" there is nothing smart or extraordinary about "smart liposuction". I get beautifully outstanding liposuction results with tumescent liposuction. It is the skill of the plastic surgeon that is most important, not the type of tool that is available.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Different types of liposuction

+1
Although some physicians favor some technology over conventional liposuction, the most important aspect in choosing the type of liposuction, is choosing the right surgeon for you. Meticulous care and attention to detail are important attributes. There is a lack of evidence that special technologies help more than conventional tumescent liposuction on a consistent basis.

Ronald Shelton, MD