So, my Question is Can my Bridge Be Slightly Narrowed Without Changing my Profile or Front View?

I have been considering a rhinoplasty (with rasping or lateral and medial osteotomies) to modify the bones on both sides of my nose. I love my nose overall, but my bridge photographs very harshly when the flash is on. It's important to me to keep my profile. I do not want to change the defining characteristics of my nose. (i.e. the bulbous tip, nostril flaring) I just want to make a little change and would be interested in getting similar results to the additional pictures.

Narrowing the Nasal Bridge

+2

The  nasal bridge can be narrowed without changing the profile by doing osteotomies. Every rhinoplasty should be individualized to meet the needs and desires of each patient.

Narrowing nasal bridge without changing profile or front view

+1

The bridge can be narrowed but it will alter the frontal view.  The side profile does not necessarily have to be altered, but on the frontal view the nose bones will be narrowed.  Rasping of the nasal bridge will change the side profile.

+1

To answer your first question, yes the nasal bones on the side could be narrowed slightly (the key word here) by rasping the nasal bones without changing any other nasal feature during a closed Rhinoplasty.

However, and this answers the second question:  This would narrow your nose slightly but not make it look like the other photos that have a higher, more narrow nasal bridge.  Medial and lateral osteotomies would narrow the nose significantly but would not, IMHO, make the nasal bridge as high as those other noses.  That would require a straight, silastic dorsal implant.  The other factor, to consider, is the relationship of the nasal tip height (projection) with the dorsal height.  As one is raised, so must the other....if not you create a dorsal hump.

IMO, your nose is drastically different than the ones you showed and would require a significant amount of aesthetic change...not the minimal change you expressed a desire to have.  You should have a few consultations with experienced Rhinoplasty surgens to sort out and clearly define the goals of your Rhinoplasty before proceeding so you get what you really want in the end.  Hope this helps.

A non-surgical nose job with fillers will improve your nasal bridge

+1

Dear justjonesy,

Great news, you can improve the appearance of your nose with an in-office procedure and avoid the risks of surgery.  I personally sufferered from a horizontal crease across my bridge with flash photography.  I was very pleased to fix this problem with fillers applied to my nasal bridge.

By augmenting the bridge with a filler like Restylane or Radiesse, the nose will appear slimmer on frontal view.  Both of the examples you have shown have strong and smooth nasal contours.  This can be achieved with makeup or fillers.

The fillers would be maintained at 6 month intervals. If you like the effects, you may use a permanent filler like Artefill.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing the nasal bridge

+1

that is possible goal to achieve. considering that only osteotomy might not be enough to achieve the goal and you might need to receive other procedures to narrow the nasal bridge.

M. Ryan Khosravi, MD

Rhinoplasty to narrow bridge but not change profile

+1

In general, the bony portion of the nose can be modified without changing the appearance of the tip and nostrils.  Everyone is different, however, and your questions can be answered during a consultation with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty.  During your consultation and after a physical exam, you and your surgeon can discuss your goals and expectations. 

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery for the bridge of the nose

+1

It is impossible to say for sure from the grainy photos shot at angles that you posted but I suspect your best option will be infracture with bridge augmentation. You can get bridge work without doing anything to the tip if you wish.

I do not know why you would want to look like the woman with the green rings on her finger. It looks like she has had high osteotomies which created plateaus on the sides of the nose rather than the normal gradual continuous slope from top of the bridge down each side of the nose.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Narrowing the bridge

+1

It's certainly possible to only do osteotomies without touching the tip. A more complete exam would be needed to see if that alone would accomplish your goals.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing of the nose without change in profile

+1
Narrowing of the nose without changes in the profile is absolutely possible. In general, osteotomies alone can be quite helpful. Sometimes, however, a technique called reverse spreader technique is necessary to get the desired changes. In select cases it may also help to augment the bridge to help get better reflection of light from this area to give the appearance of narrowing. Consult with a rhinoplasty expert in your area to see which procedure fits you best. Dr. Torkian

Behrooz Torkian, MD