Solutions for Swelling One Year After Revision Rhinoplasty? Kenalog?

Hi- I had an open revision rhinoplasty exactly one year ago. I am still experiencing intermittent swelling. I know this is swelling because at times it looks very nice and refined and then for no reason it seems to balloon up overnight and become distorted and swollen. This will last for a couple days and then subside again. What could be causing this? Also - I took a short course of prednisone for a bee sting and my nose looked perfect - that's why I am sure it is still swelling. Any options?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Sounds like you could benefit from a few steroid injections to the tip/lobule of the nose - your surgeon should be able to help you with this

+1

This is a common complaint of patient after rhinoplasty particularly those with thick nasal skin. The reason is scar tissue and these are formed every time you have surgery. We retain fluid some days more than others and if we are female, several days a month we retain more fluid and some fluid go to the areas that have less resistance and scars have less resistance to fluid accumulation than normal tissues, hence, swelling in the operated nose. This may be more as soon as one gets up in the morning and resolves several hours later.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling not unusual

+1
Considering that you had a revision rhinoplasty one year ago, your description of your swelling is not too unusual, and probably nothing to worry about. The fact that it looks great sometimes, tells me to just be patient. If it was swollen almost all of the time, then I would recommend a steroid injection. For now, I'd recommend continued patience as the swelling will stop in the next 6-12 months.
Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon