What are My Options After Nipple Loss?

i did breast reduction surgery one and half year ago .. but i lost my nipple .. i have scar and the area should be around it has uneven color .. im not smoker 23 years old .. what is my choices now ?

Nipple Loss Options

+2

If there is nipple loss then the wound needs to be debrided of dead tissue, that is,  all dead tissue must be removed. Once the dead tissue is removed then the wound will begin to heal itself. The wound will heal slower if the dead tissue is left in place. Once the wound is healed the scar  will be come softer with time. Your doctor may encourage you to massage the area to help soften the wound.

Once the scar is soft then reconstruction of the nipple can be performed. Depending on what tissue is left, the nipple can be reconstructed from local laps, that is the skin and fat around that area. The surgeon may elect to take from another part of the body such as the groin area to help rebuild the nipple.

If you are smoking I suggest you stop as this will impede blood supply and make future reconstruction more difficult as wound healing is affected. There are many women that have their nipple reconstructed for cancer and the reconstructed nipple looks very similar to their old nipple. I hope this information has helped you.

Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Reconstruction of lost nipple

+1
Nipple areolar reconstruction can be performed. Without seeing pictures, it is impossible to assess the scar formation. If the areola has also sloughed, the area can be tattooed to recreate the coloration and a more normal appearance. If you intend to pursue this procedure, I would not recommend Radiesse injection in the meantime.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Treatment for nipple loss after reduction

+1

The treatments actually depend on the specific type of loss you are referring to.  If you lost the pigment of the areola due to scarring then medical grade areolar tattooing is an option, similar to what is offered breast reconstruction patients who suffer from breast cancer.  If you lost the actual nipple, that projects in the middle, it is possible to reconstruct but it does require more surgery.  I hope this help you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Options After Nipple Loss

+1

This is a rare but unfortunate complication of breast reduction. There are a few reconstruction options. Briefly, the nipples are created by folding skin flaps in a number of ways. The areola is reconstructed by tattooing or with skin grafts. Prosthetic ('stick on') nipples are also available, but many patients find them unsatisfactory.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Yes there are options

+1

in addition to surgical choices, simple tatto of the area to mimic an areola may be reasonable (its done routinely after areolas are removed for cancer), as for the nipple a quick way to get some semblance of projection with little risk is using an injectable, preferably "radiesse" to form a mound under the skin.  this can be done without tatto for temporary nipple projection while you consider other more permanent options for surgery. good luck. of course nothing should be done especially tatto until you have consulted with an board certified plastic surgeon to make sure you are making a good choice. good luck and remember scars get better and better with time. even at 1 and 1/2 years out.  don't rush into anything.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Nipple Loss, and Options for Reconstruction

+1

Hi Saras,

I'm obviously very sorry for the problem you've had.  Nipple loss is a rare but obviously devastating complication.

It is important to try to look forward at this point.  Fortunately, there are a number of choices.

First, you can have the nipple reconstucted possibly from your own tissues, depending on how it has scarred in.  You will, of course, need to see a plastic surgeon for all of these options, or at least you SHOULD consult with one. 

The areola can be reconstructed with local tissue, skin grafts, and/or tattoos (medical grade).  These are often offered in offices of surgeons who do breast reconstructions for cancer surgery.

This, at least, is what I would advise you to investigate, to see which of these procedures could benefit you.

Again, I'm sorry for what happened,

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Nipple reconstruction

+1

If you have lsot your nipple after a breast reduction and now are about one year out from the surgery, you may be a candidate for reconstruction of the nipple and areola.

Breast reduction

+1
A nipple reconstruction with ratio for color can frequently be performed. Usually after a year the scar has softened up enough.

David L. Abramson, MD

Options after a nipple loss

+1

Nipple loss after breast reduction or breast lift is very uncommon, but can happen. It is unusual to lose the entire nipple as the center and some of the areola will persist for most. The options to repair the problem can involve a skin graft to provide some substance and texture, and tattoo to apply color and cover the color lost in the scar. The results can be quite nice, and insurance should cover.

peterejohnsonmd