Any Solution to my Receding Chin? (photo)

Hi. I have been troubled over this since young. I felt like i have really bad receding chin. What do you think my problem is? I have thought of doing Orthognathic Surgery. please help.

Orthognathic Surgery vs Sliding Genioplasty for Very Short Chin

+2

The severity of the shortness of your chin indicates you have an entire lower jaw underdevelopment and a bite that is off. You should first visit an orthodontist and get a work-up and see whether you want to go through the process of orthognathic surgery. If not, you should then consider a sliding genioplasty as opposed to an implant. Your deficiency exceeds what most implant sizes can achieve and would be more natural in the long run and would more effectively address your mentalis muscle strain.

Can you fix my chin?

+2

Without an examination, it is very difficult to tell you what the best treatment for you would be. The reason is that the alignment of your teeth has a great deal to do with the ideal treatment for you. You may be a candidate for something as straightforward as an anatomical chin implant, however, you may need a much more complex surgery (orthognathic reconstruction) to fix your jaw called a bilateral sagital split osteotomy.  Make sure you go to see a board certified plastic surgeon or oral surgeon for this evaluation. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Receding chin surgery

+2

I can certainly see which are talking about and the other surgeons here correct. First get evaluated by your dentist and find out if you have malocclusion of your teeth. If your dentition is normal then you can proceed with a chin implant and you should be great. However, if you do have issues it would require orthognathic surgery then proceed your local oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and see what they had to say. I'm confident that a chin implant may be a good option for you.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Receeding chin

+2

If you have no problems wiht your teeth, a chin implant is a slam dunk treatment for you.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Solutions for receding chin

+2

From your photos, it does appear that you would be a candidate for chin augmentation.  There are different methods to achieve augmentation of the chin, and the location of your teeth is also important.  Orthognathic surgery may be an option for you, but you would need to consult with an oral surgeon first.  If that is not an option, your chin could be augmented with a chin implant.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Receding Chin Option Determination

+1

If you do not have a significant overbite (Malocclusion of your teeth) then a chin augmentation would be a reasonable decision for you. I would first see your dentist or orthodontist to make this determination. If this is the case than moving your lower jaw forward (saggital split mandibular advancement) may be the best option.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Solution for retrusive chin

+1

A retrusive chin can be brought into balance with a medium sized silastic chin implant. The implant is placed through an incision underneath the chin and performed under local anesthesia.  Orthognathic surgery will require an overnight stay in the hospital, general anesthesia, and extensive swelling for many weeks.

Well-performed Chin Implant Surgery may lead to improvement in the appearance of your receding chin.

+1

You may wish to consider consulting several reputable facial plastic surgeons so you could see if chin implant surgery would be right for you. Based on your photos, you may be a good candidate. If you have malocclusion of your teeth, braces may lead to correction of your bite, but would not advance your chin forward.

Other than chin implant surgery, genioplasty surgery is another option. My preference is Chin Implant surgery. There is little downtime, and silastic implants have a long track record of safety.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon