What's the Best Solution for Melasma for Black Skin?

that can be done at home (care w/great results,even if gradual? Meaning something I could easily have access to w/o needing a prescription or treatment from a dermatologist. The sides of my face and neck are much darker than my natural skin tone. I got it all checked out, no illnesses. I told my derm about it but she said the Retina A should help; which it really didn't. (I do use SPF 30 btw w/Mexoryl.)

Effective long-term treatment of melasma requires an effective short term treatment and a long-term maintenance program of skin

+2

In my hands, the best treatment for melasma involves an aggressive short term treatment to get rid of the pigment and then a long-term skin maintenance program to keep the pigment away.  Short I recommend two or more treatments with the Fraxel Restore 1550nm laser spaced about two weeks apart.  In between Fraxel Restore Laser treatments, I recommend using the Cosmion Iontophoretic Rejuvenating Mask three times a week for one hour each treatment.  This mask infuses 20% ascorbyl glucoside (Vitamin C) into the skin using a proven medical process called iontophoresis.  A 0.5mm needle wheel is used before each mask treatment to enhance infusion of the Vitamin C.   For daily maintenance skin care, I recommend M2 mandelic/malic acid products (SkinCareRx.com) in 12% for sensitive skin and 20% for less sensitive skin.  These products contain long-chain alphahydroxy acids that inhibit the production of pigment in the skin.  In addition I recommend a shoulder-to-shoulder hat and an effective UVA/UVB sun block such as Laroche Possay Anthelios 60 to completely protect the face from sun exposure.  I have treated over 400 patients over the past three years with this protocol including patients with black skin who have responded very well.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Improvement of skin discoloration and melasma in black skin

+1

Melasma and skin pigmentation on black skin can be improved with topical creams such as Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM used for at least three months. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS