Solution for Rhinoplasty Scar Tissue?

I had open primary rhinoplasty 7 months ago and still have a lump on the right side of my nose. it has become slightly firmer recently. i have had 2 steroid injections which have helped a bit but not enough. what are my options? can more steroids help get rid of the scar tissue? will i need a revision to remove the scar tissue?

Treating scar tissue post-rhinoplasty

+2

More steroids may still help. Would not recommend further surgery, if needed till well after a year after your first surgery.

Good luck!

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue and steroids following rhinoplasty

+1
Steroid injections following rhinoplasty are indicated when there has been excessive scar tissue production deep to the skin - this manifests itself by the appearance of swelling and in some cases there can be hard lumps. This is most commonly in the supratip (area just above the tip) or tip regions. Steroid injections typically take about 2-3 weeks to start to work. They should be used judiciously as when too much is injected or injections are performed to frequently, they can cause excessive thinning of the skin or loss of pigmentation that can take a long time to resolve. If further injections are required, they are typically done at least 6 weeks after the previous injection. It is better to be more conservative using steroid injections following rhinoplasty than be too aggressive. If you have seen improvement following steroid injections, further steroid injections may help. However, it is important to consider other causes of a focused lump 7 months after surgery, there may be a structural cause such as an irregularity of the cartilage that is the source and then steroid injections would not solve the problem entirely. It is best that you continue to follow-up with your surgeon to monitor your progress during your recovery.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Steriods for Scar Tissue

+1

Steroid injections are typically effective in flattening scar tissue, but it can be a while before the full effect is realized. Multiple injections of steroids are not recommended because it can change the color and quality of the skin. Sometimes there is just too much scar for a steroid injection to result in complete resolution.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision for a bump.

+1

Rhinoplasty revision for a bump is probably what you will need - not steroids. See a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for this.

Rhinoplasty scar nodule

+1

Hi,I think if the earlier injections of steroids has improved your scar tissue then a larger does may make to disappear.More injections can always be taken at 6 weekly intervals.I am not sure how big or where is the scar tissue in the nose therefore your own surgeon is the best judge.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon