Best Solution for Butt Acne/scars That Leave Marks?

I get occasional breakouts on my butt, after the breakout are gone, it leaves a hyperpigmentation/markings. I'm so embarrass by it. What can I do to to treat and prevent pimples on the butt, and at the same time help fade the hyperpigmentation/markings that the pimple left behind?

Options for "butt acne"

+1
Hi Suzy,

This is a long delayed response but I will try to help. I agree with Dr. Ruecki that a dermatologist visit would help you greatly. Topical retinoids (vitamin A derivatives) are not classically thought to help much because the bumps you are getting are actually folliculitis, not acne. So the problem isn't because of "plugged pores" as in acne, the condition that vitamin A products treat. An over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide wash of 6-10 % left on for 5 minutes and then rinsed off may help. I like the 8% one from Topix. Benzoyl peroxide bleaches towels, so rinse thoroughly. It can cause a bit of irritation, so a gentle moisturizer like Cetaphil afterwards may help. If you work out, be sure to clean gym equipment. If you sit a lot, try to get up now and then to avoid sweating on the buttocks. If you are sweating a lot, putting Zeasorb powder on before you start your day can help the skin stay dry. An oral antibiotic for flares definitely helps a lot. In terms of getting rid of the hyperpigmentation, it takes a long, long time (like 1 year). So, be patient and treat anything new aggressively. 4% hydroquinone may help, but don't use if for more than 4-6 months to avoid possible irreversible worsening of the pigmentation. I hope that helps you or anyone else with your condition.

Poway Dermatologist

Butt Acne marks and how to prevent

+1

You should be on vitamin a analogue for prevention applied to your but.. and topical antibiotics would be good to apply spot treatments. I would also consider oral antibiotics to help as well. For the pigmentation, there are several lightening topical products that can help as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'd recommend a visit to a dermatologist

+1

Body acne can be extremely hard to treat and I don't know one over-the-counter product that works. You need a prescription topical or oral medication. I'd recommend you see a dermatologist to be evaluated and treated. Additionally, what you're left with after the acne is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). It will resolve itself, but you need to get rid of the acne with appropriate medications first.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD