Best Solution for Butt Acne/scars That Leave Marks?

I get occasional breakouts on my butt, after the breakout are gone, it leaves a hyperpigmentation/markings. I'm so embarrass by it. What can I do to to treat and prevent pimples on the butt, and at the same time help fade the hyperpigmentation/markings that the pimple left behind?

Options for "butt acne"

Hi Suzy,

This is a long delayed response but I will try to help. I agree with Dr. Ruecki that a dermatologist visit would help you greatly. Topical retinoids (vitamin A derivatives) are not classically thought to help much because the bumps you are getting are actually folliculitis, not acne. So the problem isn't because of "plugged pores" as in acne, the condition that vitamin A products treat. An over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide wash of 6-10 % left on for 5 minutes and then rinsed off may help. I like the 8% one from Topix. Benzoyl peroxide bleaches towels, so rinse thoroughly. It can cause a bit of irritation, so a gentle moisturizer like Cetaphil afterwards may help. If you work out, be sure to clean gym equipment. If you sit a lot, try to get up now and then to avoid sweating on the buttocks. If you are sweating a lot, putting Zeasorb powder on before you start your day can help the skin stay dry. An oral antibiotic for flares definitely helps a lot. In terms of getting rid of the hyperpigmentation, it takes a long, long time (like 1 year). So, be patient and treat anything new aggressively. 4% hydroquinone may help, but don't use if for more than 4-6 months to avoid possible irreversible worsening of the pigmentation. I hope that helps you or anyone else with your condition.

Poway Dermatologist

15725 Pomerado Road
Poway, CA 92064

Buttocks Break Outs Be Gone.

These are the best tips I give my patients. A benzoyl peroxide wash daily in shower, lather and let sit for 4 min (shave your legs during this time if you like). After the shower apply a topical antibiotic lotion, like clindamycin. Then before bed apply a topical retinoid, I love Tazorac gel for this area. The retinoid serves to help with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and prevent further papules from developing. You could alternate with a glycolic if wash to speed up the process of evening out skin tone, I find these really help the complexion and allow the medications to work better.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

366 Veterans Memorial Highway
Commack, NY 11725

Buttock Acne and Scars and best treatment for Hyperpigmentation

A combination of bleach creams with hydroquinone and Vitamin C and chemical peels and/or Retinoids will slowly improve the discoloration and return your skin to its own natural color.  Please consult a dermatologist with expertise in hyperpigmentation and chemical peels.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Butt Acne marks and how to prevent

You should be on vitamin a analogue for prevention applied to your but.. and topical antibiotics would be good to apply spot treatments. I would also consider oral antibiotics to help as well. For the pigmentation, there are several lightening topical products that can help as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

I'd recommend a visit to a dermatologist

Body acne can be extremely hard to treat and I don't know one over-the-counter product that works. You need a prescription topical or oral medication. I'd recommend you see a dermatologist to be evaluated and treated. Additionally, what you're left with after the acne is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). It will resolve itself, but you need to get rid of the acne with appropriate medications first.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Pigmentation control with Melarase

Hyperpigmentation on the body can be improved with a combination of creams used daily. We recommend Melarase AM and Melarase PM creams twice daily to the areas of pigmentation. 

DR. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403