Solution for Asymmetric Eyebrows? (photo)

I am nineteen years old. My face is asymmetrical and it doesn't really bother me for the most part. However, my asymmetrical eyebrows drive me crazy! One of them is fine, but the other lies flat and close to my eye - which I think frames my face poorly. It's not a crippling thing for me, but I would feel more confident if I weren't always trying to compensate by raising my brows. If I were to take care of it, it would have to be something simple and non-invasive. Would Botox be my best option?

Botox for brow asymmetry

+1

Yes, I agree with others that the best option for your brow asymmetry is Botox.  After a few years of Botox you may be able to 'train' your forehead muscles to be more symmetric.

Asymmetric eyebrows

+1

Given your age and the relatively minor asymmetry, I would recommend botox as the best option. You can selectively treat the appropriate target muscle and achieve the affects you desire.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical eyebrows

+1

Botox may be a good option for your asymmetry.  The injections would need to be repeated every 3-6 months.  You may want to consider a more permanent solution which would be a unilateral or asymmetrical brow lift.  This is more invasive, but likely will not need any upkeep.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Treatment of Asymmetric Eyebrows

+1

First, remember that some asymmetry is normal - I'm sure you've noticed this when observing friends and colleagues. Botox is the easiest and least invasive technique to improve symmetry. Specific muscles can be injected n each side to limit depression of the lower eyebrow and restrict elevation of the higher eyebrow. Hopefully this meets your expectations so you can avoid invasive surgery.

Solution for Asymmetric Eyebrows?

+1

From the photos, it appears as if the right temporal nerve branch, that innnervates the forehead, is weak compared to the left.  This would explain the lower right eyebrow.  Botox is a reasonable treatment based on your young age and this unique issue.

Botox for asymmetric brow

+1

Hello Shanelainec,

You are too young and cute to worry about that!  That asymmetry gives you a such a cool flirty look!  Half my staff wants you nose, the other wants your eyes.  LOL!  But seriously, I see what you are saying.

To answer your question, some VERY CONSERVATIVE Botox or Dysport would work well.  Maybe just about 5 to 10 units in your left brow to start with allowing it to contract a little less and even things out.  DON'T BE  oversold on the units.  Start slow with a low dose.  You may have to pay a bit more per unit but it's worth a try.  It's very safe and if you don't like it it will wear off.

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow Asymmetry

+1

Dear Shanelainec:  If the picture on the upper left is your "natural" state, then I agree with Dr. Kass that you are contracting your forehead muscles asymmetrically on the left side. This is leading to the asymmetric, higher brow position on that side. If you are doing this subconsciously, then there may be another underlying problem that you are trying to compensate for by raising the brow: a droopy eyelid.  If an eyelid is drooping [ptosis] it may compromise your upper visual field. Your brain often automatically realizes this and increases tone to your forehead muscles to raise your eyebrow, which in turn helps elevate your eyelid.  So in summary, your brow asymmetry may be related to another problem, which can be addressed.I would  recommend consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon. You can find one close to you by going to asoprs.org.  Best of luck to you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric brows in 19 year old

+1

It was great that you provided photos but I could not determine if the wrinkling of your forehead were because you were actively contracting your forehead to raise your brows (which is how it looked to me).  A photo without active contraction would have been helpful.  But I agree that Botox/Dysport would likely be your best option.  But I agree with the last doctor that all of us are a little asymmetric and that it really should not be of too much concern to you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for Asymmetric Eyebrows

+1

We all have some asymmetry in our face and bodies. What you have is not that unusual. However, it it really concerns you, Botox or Dysport may be a good option. I would try a small dose (2 units of Botox) under the lower brow and see it that gives some lift. More can be given if needed. It will have to be repeated 3 to 4 times a year but since the dose is low, the cost should not be too much.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon