Solution to Dark Circles, Due to Hereditary, Blood Flow, Thinness? (photo)

I have had dark circles since birth... now that I am 47, they are dragging me down, making it impossible to be seen without 3-4 layers of concealer, to mask and blend with my skin tones.. It was recommended by a plastic surgeon to get the lower lid lift and chemical peel - 3500. A second opinion recommended ActiveFX and possibly Restalayne in 6 months. Restalayne alone is an option but he didn't feel it would change the discoloration. 500 each. I think I need a 3rd opinion, risk/benefits..

Dark circles under the eyes

+1

You should consult a plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon.  A combination of a lower lid lift, laser, Restylane, tretinoin cream and sun protection would give the best result.

Toronto Dermatologist

Addressing Dark Circles Under the Eyes With Restylane and Other Options

+1

From your picture, it seems that procedures that can provide subtle structural modifications can help. By this, I mean treatments that aim to fill in the deep hallow depressions under your eyes as opposed to tightening your skin.

Some options to investigate further might include: Fat transfers and Restylane as you mentioned. Restylane is made of hyaluronic acid, like Juvederm. Once it is injected, it is then molded into the right form. Hyaluronic acid is subject to the Tyndall effect, which can make the under eye area appear blue. However since Restylane is more viscous, this is not as apparent compared to Juvederm. Radiesse, is particularly good for the under eye area since it is white and does not exhibit the tyndall phenomenon.

Your doctor made a good point in stating that Restylane alone would not be the ultimate solution. A combination of treatments may be ideal. You would need to discuss this further with your physician. .

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon