Solution/Cure for a Scar I've Had for 15 Years?

When I was younger, I feel down the stairs and my head hit a sharp metal object at the end of the stairs. Had to be rushed to the hospital. They had to stitch up my forehead. But lately, I've been becoming more self-conscious of it. Is there anything i can do to reduce the appearance of this scar? What are my options in terms of do-it-yourself and what are the medical options to reduce or completely remove this scar? All suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Scar Removal

+1

Scars on the face and especially forehead are a daunting task to improve in many situations.  The possibility of making the scar worse is ever present.  Do not do the procedure unless you are willing to accept this risk.  The scar can be revised, but there are risks that you need a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to address with you.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they will present options for you.  If they do not want to do it, it is probably left alone.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Medical Microneedling and Subcision Work Well Together for Scars

+1

Two minimally-invasive, nonsurgical procedures may be useful for traumatic scars. Subcision works well for improving many kinds of depressed or atrophic scars, including those that may arise from trauma. In this procedure, which is done under local, an appropriately-size, sterile needle is inserted under the skin to break up the scar tissue that tethers and pulls down the surface of the skin. In addition, the wounding that results below the surface stimulates new collagen and elastic fiber synthesis to further fill in and lift the scar. Depending upon the size and depth of the scar, more than one treatment session may be required for optimal results.

Medical microneedling, a procedure that uses a small paintroller-like device to which many tiny needles are attached, is an excellent method for improving the surface characteristics and coloration of various kinds of scars. The needles, which penetrate the surface of the skin and also break up underlying fibrous scar tissue, creates microscopic wounds that additionally stimulate new collagen formation, a process known as CIT or collagen induction therapy. Moreover,, by disrupting the surface of scar, medical microneedling helps to improve the tone and texture and help to blend the scar with the surrounding skin. For further improvement, this procedure may also be repeated, if necessary.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Options for old scars

+1

As the others have suggested, improvement is the realistic expectation as there is no treatment or procedure which will make them disappear. 

Having a consulation for surgical scar revision is a good starting point as well as seeking a consultation for ablative laser treatments.   Besides color improvement, the goal of lasers is to effect changes with texture as well.

Most practitioner find the best treatment plan involves combination treatments.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Scar revision and laser

+1

the widest scar on the left should be revised. the remaining scars may benefit from DBZ, you appear to be a brunette with easily tanned skin Type II-III and laser would not be my first choice. also I would reserve w-plasty  for scars that appear tethered or contracted during animation. it may make the appearance worse. realistic expectations a must.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing for Scar Revision

+1

First, I would identify the problem as:  1) Color alteration, 2) sharp borders.  Yes, there is an irregular assortment of scarring on the forehead, but if these two problems were improved, you may very well be happy with the results, especially since you lasted so long before taking issue with them.  

Fractionated laser resurfacing, preferably fractionated ablative resurfacing can really improve the two striking features: color and borders.  While there are no guarantees, and no doctor can read crystal balls, fractionated ablative resurfacing can often blend color with the surrounding unaffected skin and lessen the sharp borders.  The degree of improvement depends on the laser operator, number of treatments, and your wound care.  Given your darker complexion you can also expect some darkening of the scars and the normal skin around it from the heat of the laser, but this nearly always subsides.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead scars can be improved but rarely removed.

+1

Hi.

1)  I think your forehead can be made to look better.  The important thing is not perfection, but to get you to the point where you are no longer self conscious about it.

2)  It looks like you would benefit by a scar revision of the wide scar on the right, and a W plasty of the long scar between your brows.

3)  Six months after scar revision, we usually do laser resurfacing.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)