Best Solution to Achieve This Chin Shape? (photo)

In the results picture, I have just moved my lower jaw forward and lower. But this does create an under bite. I have the following questions: 1. Is there a simpler solution to achieve the results shown in the pic? 2. Will I require braces to compensate for the under bite which may occur after the surgery? 3. How much am I looking at in terms of cost of the procedure? If possible, would like to avoid any sawing of jawbone, putting screws, etc. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Solution to achieve chin shape

+2

In the photos shown there are 2 procedures that would be required to obtain this result.  The first one is a chin implant to give the forward and downward projection of the mandible.  A silastic implant is placed in a natural pocket directly over the bone and is not screwed in; this can be done under a local anesthesia through a submental incision.  Further accentuation of the jaw line by fat removal in the submental area will need to be performed with a neck lift, which is performed with general anesthesia.  The neck lift involves removing fat above and below the platysmal muscle and tightening the platysmal muscle by a procedure known as the platysmaplasty.  There is no sawing of the jaw bone in either one of these procedures.  These procedures described above will not throw off the bite of the teeth, so any preexisting over- or underbite will still be there and braces would need to address this separately.

You may consider consultation for Chin Implant Surgery and Neck Liposuction Surgery.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Chin Implant Surgery may improve the projection of your chin, as you morphed, and this type of surgery would not interfere with the occlusion of your teeth, nor would there be osteotomies or other hardware (except for the rubberized silicone implant). I typically place chin implants through a small incision under your chin, though some experts prefer to place chin implants through an incision inside your mouth. If you decide to move forward with a consultation, you may wish to ask your prospective surgeon if you might benefit from neck liposuction as well.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Solution to Improve Chin

+2

If your dental occlusion is normal a chin implant will improve your chin contour and projection without causing any other problems.

Best Solution to Achieve This Chin Shape?

+2

A chin implant is a great option to project and reshape your chin. Many implant options are available depending upon your desired appearance. A chin implant will also not change your bite in any way. This is a common procedure that takes under an hour and can be performed under twilight anesthesia.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are Some Relatively Easy Options To Achieve the Chin Shape You Want

+2

What you want to do is to move your jaw forward while leaving your teeth in their normal position. This can be done quite nicely with a chin implant. The implant can be tailored in 3 dimensions to bring the jaw forward from the side, and depending on what needs to be done from the front, can lengthen the jaw, widen the jaw, give it a more square appearance, or even leave the appearance unchanged from the front. Removing some of the fat from the neck at the same time (liposuction) would also add more definition to the jaw line and improve your appearance even more. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Solution to Achieve this Chin Shape

+2

Hello Mike, I see your profile daily in my practice. You are a great candidate for a chin augmentation. I would suggest submental liposuction along with a implant. Your result should be excellent without jaw surgery. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Surgeon. We perform this procedure daily. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Chin implant is the answer

+2

A chin implant will not change your bite and should achieve the result you demonstrated. No alteration of the bone or use of screws is necessary.   The cost would be $3000-4500 and involves a brief convalescence. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon