Softform Vs Ultrasoft Implants for Permanent Lip Augmentation?

I have had my lips injected with several different temporary fillers and enjoyed the look that they achieved for a while. But I am curious about something more permanent such as the Softform or Ultrasoft Lip implants. I was wondering if these have been proven successful or not for patients?

I have switched to Permasil for lip augmentation

+3

For years I treated patients using Alloderm grafts as well as Ultrasoft. I found that the Alloderm didn't maintain satisfactory volume. I also found that the ultrasoft would shorten and at the corners of the mouth would not have much much augmentation after a year.

About two years ago I started using Permasil implants which I have found to be quite easy to insert and have given the best results of any permanent implant product. I have not had any problems with infection, malposition, tenderness, or loss of sensation in the lips.

Permanent lip augmentation

+2

We prefer nontraumatized autologous fat fascial grafts for lip augmentation. This gives a predictable soft fullness to the lips. You never have to worry about the silicone getting infected, about implants becoming visible or palpable, or extruding.

We have removed a number of permanent lip implants for the reasons above.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lip Enlargement Options

+1

A little advice after reading the other doctor recommendations. All injectable lip fillers (not silicone which I believe is still not advised in the United States) are either sugar or protein based (this includes dermal products and your own tissue such as fascia or fat) and will be eventually "eaten" by your body. The more muscular movement in the area i.e. lips, the quicker they will vanish.Silicone lip implants are a great idea. Soft, easily placed, and removed if desired, under local anesthesia in the office. Beware of lip implants that cannot be removed or will not naturally "dissolve" such as permanent injections or fabric implants. If a future problem occurs such as infection, misplacement, or scarring there is no easy way out. We have all seen the pictures.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Softform implants have proven success

+1

They are goretex tubes that allow tissue ingrowth to make them a part of your lips. I like silicone lip implants as they have been more compatible in my experience. Here is a video on permalip enhancement / filling / augmentation for you to watch and learn more:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants, lip augmentation

+1
These are all forms of synthetic material like Gortex which IMO of performing lip augmentation for over 20 years are to stiff for lip augmentation. Alloderm is softer and more supple and because of this can be placed directly in the front of the lips under the red mucosa of the lips giving the lips a natural, pleasing enhancement. These synthetic fillers must be placed inside the lip muscles themselves, so they are not visible, so they are subject to moving as the lip muscle contracts.

Permanent lip implants

+1

I personally do not l iike the permanent lip implants. They can cause many different problems from infection, extrusion, malposition, to name a few

I am not a big fan of lip implants

+1

Lip implants can look funny because the moves alot, all day long in talking, eating etc. I've seen implants bunch up and become a noticeable bump.

So what do you do for a permanent result. I personally like Silkon. Silkon is a silicone filler which when performed by an experienced injector can feel natural, and look natural.

I use lots of fillers in my office and Silkon in the lips is one of my favorites.

Good Luck.

Dr. Lenore

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Lip augmentation using implants

+1

In most cases the initial procedure is successful and gives a natural look that is soft and full. Personally, I do not encourage patients to use implants in the lips as over time the implants in some patients become hard and firm and can distort the smile. This can be very difficult to restore. I would consider talking with your surgeon about the long term implications of placing the permanent implants and what to expect in the future. All the best.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Implant vs temporary fillers for lips

+1

I would be very careful with permanent lip implants. I have been performing lip augmentation techniques for 10 years, and I have seen a higher incidence of complications resulting in removal with permanent lip implants. They tend to leave more visible scars at entry and exit points, as well as migration, aysmetry, and other complications. My reccomendation is to stick the natural fillers, which are more predictable and safe.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Silikon-1000 may be used by experienced physicians for permanent lip augmentation.

+1

Your results with Silikon-1000, good or bad, are permanent, so you must find a certified physician experienced with the serial puncture, microdroplet application of liquid injectable silicone.

This is my personal preference for permanent lip augmentation. Treatments are performed with topical anesthetic, and there is no downtime.Several treatments are typically necessary to obtain a desired result.

There is a small chance(2%) of nodule or bump formation at the site of injections. If this occurs, this is easily treated with dilute triamcinolone injections, and minimal inconvenience. I have not seen migration of silicone in any of my patients.

I've attached a link to my lip augmentation gallery for your perusal.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon