Softening and Swelling Question 1 Week Post Breast Implants?

I had my breast implants done last week. They were done subfascially, one with 400cc's one with 375cc's. They are high profile, smooth silicone Mentor implants. Before surgery I was a B on my left breast and a B+ as my surgeon put it on the right. They are very firm now and I understand this is probably because of swelling. When will they soften and when will the swelling go down? How much cup size will I lose when the swelling subsides? Thanks!

Swelling and soft-tissue tightness

+1

The firmness that you feel is in part to some swelling but also to your breast skin and soft-tissue being tight.  As time passes both will improve.  There will be no change in size from the tissue relaxing and only a little decrease from the swelling going down.  Since your implants are not under the muscle you do not have as much swelling as if you would have had after sub-pectoral augmentation.

Dr Remus Repta

Breast augmentation and swelling

+1

It will take several months for things to settle down and soften.  Give it time.  At the end of the first week things are often tight and maximally swollen.

Softening and Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Patience at this time as you seem well aware.  Also, we have our patients begin implant displacement exercises, some patients refer to this as breast massage, to help the skin and breast tissue to soften and "settle" after surgery.  Discuss this with your doctor...it is only indicated for smooth surface implants like yours.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and softening

+1
These are all general questions. FIrmness should go down as the swelling recedes; the swelling should diminish gradually with most of it abating within 6-8 weeks but the softening will take longer. It is impossible to know how much volume you will lose after the swelling subsides without appreciating the amount of swelling you have had.

Robert L. Kraft, MD