If Soft Tissue Pollybeak is Detected As Soon As It Starts Forming, How Often Are Kenalog Injections Successful? (photo)

I go to my doctor every month and he told me that if he notices scar tissue he will use injections. He said they almost always work, is that true? Also that pollybeak from scar tissue usually starts forming in the first two months and that I should be clear from it as I am 9 weeks post op. I have some swelling in my supratip, especially in the mornings. Also when I push my skin down in the supratip area it looks perfect.

If Soft Tissue Pollybeak is Detected As Soon As It Starts Forming, How Often Are Kenalog Injections Successful?

+2

Steroid injections are not without risk, and I have not found these necessary.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

No evidence of a polly beak deformity

+2

From your photograph is does not appear that you have a polly beak type deformity.  Scarring in this area can happen but it is not all that common.  

Pollybeak is often not scar

+2

You refer to pollybeak 'formation' though most often supratip fullness is a technical concern in rhinoplasty and less often a buildup of scar tissue. If there is persistent supratip fullness, there are methods in revision that can solve the problem. Kenalog is more of a life saver for selected patients (our opinion) that might reduce the need for revision though has side effects that cause problems of their own. Our practice protocol is injection at an eight week interval, with careful monitoring of the response in specific cases and never for prevention.

Pollybeak kenalog injections

+2

If the problem is only thick scar it will work. I also use Kenalog 40mg which is the stronger dose. Do it monthly. Sometimes  i will start 6 weeks post surgery depending on healing, history etc

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon