Soft Tissue Breast Infection?

1 yr postop, saline unders, sudden onset of swelling and pain on 1 breast. no redness or fever. dr treated with keflex on day 7 of meds condition resolved, on day 9 they reappeared and increased in swelling and pain. Went to ER for ultrasound and placed on iv meds. US showed no fluid, capsule in tact, just soft tissue swelling. did 36 hrs of iv antibiotic was discharged. started minocyline 100mg for 14 days last night. breast still swollen very firm and sore. can this be infection of tissues?

Breast implant infection

+1

It's hard to say without examing you first, but I suggest that you return to your plastic surgeon to see if the implant needs to be removed.

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/Procedures_BreastAugmentation_865362.aspx

Infection of the breast implant almost always requires X plantation.

+1

It's possible to have a soft tissue infection of the breast unrelated to the prosthesis. It's impossible to comment on your situation based on the history. If you indeed have an infection that involves prosthesis almost assuredly it will require removal.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Breast infection?

+1

I think that the best person to address this for you is your surgeon. Exams in person will help guide the management. Good luck.  Hope all works out.

Infection after Breast Implants

+1

The absence of fluid around the implant suggests the implant area is not infected. You may need a repeat ultrasound or different antibiotic if you are not improving with the minocycline. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Soft Tissue Breast Infection?

+1

A soft tissue infection would be my #1 concern here. Follow up closely with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Mastitis is likely one year after a breast augmentation

+1

If this  was an implant infected condition then it would not resolve with antibiotics alone, the implant would have to be removed.  Most likely a mastitis and needs to be treated with the appropriate antibiotic for resolution.  

Infection involving breast with an implant

+1

My major concern would be involvement of the implant.  I would have you see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.  It is not unheard of to develop a capsule after even routine dental work.  Good luck and I hope all ends well.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon