Will I Be Able to Play Soccer After Rhinoplasty?

I am looking at scheduling rhinoplasty around the end of May. The main thing holding me back is the fact I play soccer. I love to play (have played 20+ years) and its my main source of exercise. I play in a women's league and its fairly competitive. Realistically, will I be able to play after having nose surgery? If so, how long should I wait before playing again?

Wait 6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Before Playing Contact Sports

+1

Thank you for your question.  Following rhinoplasty the bones must heal and develop enough strength to avoid displacement if the nose suffers trauma.  I recommend my patients avoid contact sports for 6 weeks after formal rhinoplasty surgery.  Even at 6 weeks the bones are not totally healed but have enough strength to avoid displacement with minor degrees of trauma.  You might consider wearing a protective facemask for an additional few weeks after the 6 week.

Trauma after Rhinoplasty

+1

Wait at least 6 weeks after surgery to resume soccer. It would be best to do your nose after your soccer days; now we'll be realistic.You could break your nose before or after surgery, but you are trying to determine the risk. You have played for 20+ years; how many times have you broken your nose? Good Luck!

Okay to play soccer 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

It is okay to play soccer after a rhinoplasty surgery. However, you should probably wait approximately six weeks before playing any contact sports such as soccer.

Could you play soccer before? (sorry, bad joke...)

+1

There are always risks... After a few months, you are fine to play soccer, but you are at increased risk for breaking your nose. Anytime you manipulate the nose (especially if you have done osteotomies), the nose is weaker than it was before. With competitive sports, there is always a chance you may impact on your nose, and you have the possibility of breaking it. (Even without having had a nose job!) But after a rhinoplasty, it will take less force to break your nose, so the relative risk is higher. (I don't play soccer, but recently I learned that there are some positions where you routinely head-but the ball - and that would make me very nervous after a rhinoplasty!)

You need to be realistic about what you want and the risks you are willing to take. Enjoy life, and be safe!

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Soccer after rhinoplasty

+1

You should plan on waiting 6 weeks after your rhinoplasty to play soccer again. Beware however that revision rhinoplasty is much more difficult than primary. If you traumatically injure your nose playing soccer after rhinoplasty and require surgery again to repair the damage the secondary operation can be more challenging. I don't advise patients to give up activities that they love, but you might think twice about going for the header after your surgery.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon