Will Soaking Tweezers in Alcohol and Using It to Take out Dried Mucous from my Nose 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Be Ok?

i soaked some tweezers i had in 50% rubbing alcohol and used the tweezers to pick out some dried mucus in my nose. i did this about 3 times and i am about on my 3rd week after rhinoplasty. is this a bad thing to be doing?

Los Angeles Rhinoplasty

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

I would not recommend placing any sort of instrument inside your nose. As my colleague suggested, you may cause inadvertant damage to the nose or stimulate bleeding.  You may want to consider using a saline spray to irrigate the nasal cavity.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Tweezers

+2

I don't recommend this. You may cause bleeding or damage the inside of your nose. Steam or a vaporizor might loosen them and then they will come out naturally.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Is removing dried mucous from my nose at 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty, OK.

+1

No, IMHO if you have dried mucous in your nose at 3 weeks after a Rhinoplasty, IMHO it's best to return to your Rhinoplasty surgeons office to have your nose cleaned.  There are internal sutures that you may pull causing collapse and web formation...it's best to let them handle it for the first 4-6 weeks until the sutures have dissolved and the incisions healed. 

Nasal Hygiene after rhinoplasty

+1

Its natural and expected for crusting to occur inside the nostrils after surgery. Using  tweezers can injure the stiches that your doctor placed so carefully. A better way is to moisten a Q-tip with peroxide, and roll the cotton bulb inside the nosril rim in a cleaning motion 4 times a day, followed each time with applying any over the counter , nonperscription antibiotic ointment with another clean Q-tip in a similar way. This will coat the healing tissues, as well as keep the nostrils well moisturized. Furthermore, it will keep your doctor happy !

Maurice P. Sherman, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of dried mucous after rhinoplasty

+1

A save solution for removing dried mucous after a rhinoplasty is to use a q-tip and hydrogen peroxide.  Dip a clean q-tip in the hydrogen peroxide and gently role the q-tip along the inner rim of each nostril.  This will loosen any mucous.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS