Left Eye Lid Still Swollen Shut? (photo)

I had a neurofibroma removed from my left upper eye orbit and had the eye raised up on 2/4/12. The surgeon stitched my eyelid shut. The stitch was removed on 2/13/12 and was told the eye lid would start to open in 2 weeks. I saw the surgeon again on 2/20/12 and he said there is still swelling and to give it time. He did not seem to be concerned. But I am very paranoid and I can open the eye very little and feel tightness and pressure. Can anyone tell me is this normal???

Eyelid Swelling after surgery

+1

The swelling may take a while to resolve.  In the meantime, the function of your eyelid muscles should improve.  Only the surgeon knows the true extent of your surgery, so I would defer to his judgement. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Way too early to worry

+1

Depending on how aggressive the surgery was, the swelling can take weeks to resolve. One other piece of information that would be useful to know is what the eyelid function was before surgery? Did it open completely normally? Neurofibromas often stretch out the muscle that elevates the eyelid [Levator palpebrae muscle] so its function may have been limited to begin with. If that is the case, then severe swelling can certainly make it extremely difficult to open the eyelids.

Be patient with your body as it slowly heals from this surgery. No need to panic. Time can only help in these situations.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon