Doctor Recommendation for Breast Augmentation Revision

I had a breast augmentation 21 days ago and my surgeon now says that my breast tissue is falling over my implants and the correction is a breast lift.As this problem is due to my original surgeon not providing the proper treatment,I am beginning a search for a new surgeon for the revision.

I am willing to travel on the eastern coast of the US or between Montreal and Toronto in Canada for the most experienced surgeon.I need an idea of cost and experience with this kind of deformity that you have.

Breast augmentation revision recommendations.

+3

I am sorry you are already concerned with your result being unsatisfactory just 21 days after surgery. It truly is too early to assess what things may look like as time goes by and your implants settle, drop, and fill your breast skin brassiere better. It is surprising that your surgeon either did not tell you that this might occur with your pre-operative breast anatomy, or that he did not anticipate the result you are seeing at this point in your recovery. You may well require revision (it seems that your surgeon agrees rather than asking you to be patient with the healing process), and perhaps a new surgeon with more experience is a good idea.

As you can see from the responses, a good many experienced plastic surgeons are vying for your consideration. Nothing wrong with this, but like some of them, I would first caution patience, so that you don't end up with a premature re-operation that fails a second time to meet your expectations! In the meantime, do your research: view websites, read information, and keep asking questions. A minimum of 3 months before re-operation is often recommended--most of us (I am in this group) might wait for 6 months or longer, but assessment of the individual patient is the overriding factor, not an arbitrary period of time.

As for cost, you can expect to pay $8500 for a full breast lift in the Minneapolis area (in our accredited in-office surgical facility); much more on the east coast, and more if the surgeon operates at a hospital or free-standing outpatient hospital-owned surgical center; less if a modified or less-than-full lift is needed. Ask about re-do or touch-up surgical fees and costs, and ask if any other bills are sent by anesthesia providers or surgery centers besides your surgeon's quote. Also ask about who pays for re-operation if you have bleeding. For now, follow your doctor's advice unless all trust has been lost. but please do be patient--things will change! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Droop After Augmentation

+2

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

You can get a referral from the websites of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery.org) or the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (surgery.org)

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry you have had this poor experience.

+1

I am sorry you have had this poor experience.  In Montreal we have wonderful Plastic Surgeons.  I or my colleauges would be delighted to meet with you.

Chen Lee MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision Surgery - Toronto

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

My recommendation for a breast revision surgeon in the Toronto area is Lawrence Tong, MD. He is an exceptional surgeon along with having exquisite bedside manner. His telephone: (416) 972-0999

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast augmentation and breast lift

+1

21 days after breast augmentation is very early after surgery and your breast shape may change and improve significantly over the next 6 weeks or so.   If the breast pockets around the implants are tight, breast massage my help improve both the tightness and shape.  Please give you breast implants time to settle.  I usually advise my paients to wait a minimum of 6 months before considering breast augmentation revision.  There is no harm in waiting and allowing your breasts to better heal.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Drooping breasts after Implants

+1

There are a few causes for breast droop after placing implants. The first is failure of the surgeon to recognize significant droop and recommend correction at the time of augmentation. There are also occasions when the patient pushes the surgeon to avoid a lift, because of a desire to avoid scars or added expense, and then forgets that the lift was advised in the first place. It is sometimes possible to avoid the lift by placing the implants above the muscle so that they fill and enlarge the lower breast pocket without additional scars. Unfortunately, these implants will continue to stretch the breasts. Some patients with minimal droop will be improved with implants alone, but should be advised that a lift may be required in the future.

Early after augmentation, it is common for implants to ride up and out under the pectoralis muscle. These will settle with time and massage. Unless you have severe droop, 21 days post op is too early to assess the need for a lift. I will generally have patients do vigorous massage and use a superior compression band before revision. I would wait 6 months before doing such a revision.

Review of your preop and postop pictures and measurements will help distinguish breast droop that was not addressed and settling.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Breast revision

+1

This is a common complaint.  Implants are often placed but they in and of themselves do not correct ptosis or sag.  A lift of some sort often is required.  I perform this procedure all the time.  Good luck with your search.  As for the cost, it is difficult to say without an exam and knowing what needs to be done.

Breast Implants - Revision, Secondary Mastopexy, 21 Days Post-Op

+1

HI aztecprincesse in Central Canada,

It's hard to give a price quote without seeing what you look like.  So the first step would be a series of photos (I usually recommend 5 - front, each side, and 45 degrees - from about four feet away and against a plain background.  That would, at least, be a starting point.

But 21 days is a little early.  You'll probably need to wait at least 3 months before proceeding.  At that point, the specific procedure(s) that you need should be clearer.

In terms of finding a surgeon, I generally suggest that you find a board-certified plastic surgeon from surgery dot org.  And you should make contact with a few and be prepared to visit them in person if you need to.  Going from just implants to a procedure that includes a lift is not necessarily a little thing to do.  And get a copy of your pre-operative photos, your operative report and the stickers that indicate exactly which implants you have in now.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation revision

+1

Photos would be helpful to see how severe the drooping over the implant is. Possibly with time the implants will drop and the skin will stretch to the point where it appears acceptable. Otherwise, you may need some sort of lift to tighten the skin.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast augmentation -getting it right the first time

+1

Without photos or a face to face examination and not knowing what was done at surgery or what you looked like before surgery it is impossible to say what needs to be done (skin surgery only, implant surgery only or both skin and implant surgery) to correct the current problem. 21 days is usually to early to assess the results of a breast augmentation surgery however if the surgery is not performed to standard you can often assess the poor result right away. That may or may not apply to you currently.

The question is what do you do now when you are unhappy with the result. The first thing to do is return to your operating surgeon and have him/her fix it at little or no extra cost. Your post implies you went to a different surgeon who then gave a negative critique of your previous surgeon's work. It is always easier to critique some one else's work than it is to critique one's own work. If you did not return to the first surgeon why did you not do so? If you did and he/she could not or would not fix the problem you choose the wrong surgeon. That vetting process needs to be corrected before you pick another surgeon. If you did not go back to the first surgeon at all then you are doctor shopping and no other surgeon (most experienced or otherwise) in his/her right mind should accept you as a patient.

In choosing a new surgeon make sure you bring all of your operative records and photos (including before surgery photos) to your office consultation. Stay away from any surgeon who is willing to do revision surgery without looking at these records.

Breast augmentations with breast lifts are hard to do together even in the hands of the best surgeons. That is because the lifting part is planned before the implant is placed but we do not really know at that time how the breast tissue will respond to the implant in terms of drooping etc. This combination of operations frequently requires a later touch up operation to adjust the skin envelope so it is a better match for the breast implant.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD