Can a Sneeze Undo a Stitch on an Incisional Hernia?

As i sneezed and felt a pain above where ther hernia is/was and a what felt like a gush of wind where the mesh is on my incisional hernia is and it hurt like cramp!

Sneezing after a hernia repair

+1

It is definitely possible, although unlikely, for a foreceful, vigorous sneeze to cause a suture to "undo" after a mesh repair of an incisional hernia.  Patients with incisional hernias often have inherently weak tissue and placement of mesh is a not a complete guarantee that the tissues will heal properly.  In fact, any over exertion or increase in pressure in the abdominal area can cause this, especially in the early postoperative period.  With that said, you are best off returning to your surgeon for an examination so that the cause of your worsening pain can be determined.  Best of luck.  Mark Schwartz, M.D.

A sneeze is unlikely to undo a hernia repair.

+1

If a sneeze causes a hernia repair to fail, it probably was destined to fail at some time anyway.  I doubt this happened.  Nevertheless, visit your surgeon.

+1

That is possible but not too likely. But the only way to know with some certainty is to be examined by your surgeon.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.