Can a Sneeze Cause Damage to my Tummy Tuck?

I sneezed only once and I felt a lot of pain and a warm feeling on my abdominal area. Could this have caused any damage to my internal sutures? Thank you and I appreciate very much for taking the time to respond to my question.

Can a Sneeze Cause Damage to my #TummyTuck? ANS:

+3

Ahhh, the old coughing, sneezing, laughing that I warn my patients about!!! You are probably ok. But if it is really soon after surgery and the sneeze was really hard, then in theory you could pop a stitch. But the burning and pain is normal after a TT and with straining. Give it plenty of time and if it looks ok, you probably didn't do anything bad!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can a sneeze damage a tummy tuck?

+3

I would recommend an in office exam by your plastic surgeon to exclude any damage to your muscle repair. 

Generally speaking, it is difficult to sneeze or cough hard enough to damage a muscle plication repair.   I would ensure that you are wearing your binder very snug, especially when you are ambulatory or sleeping.   This will help minimize excess soreness by preventing the tugging sensations from coughs or sneezes.  The binder is essentially your abdominal crutch during the first 6 weeks.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Damage to Abdominal Wall Plication after Tummy Tuck?

+3

For  precise diagnosis and advise you will be best served by visiting with your plastic surgeon.

Generally speaking the plication of the abdominal wall is very secure and it would take significant force / trauma to disrupt this repair.  Generally speaking, a sneeze, cough and/or straining will not generate enough force to harm the repair.

Again, if you are concerned, I would suggest that you visit with your surgeon for an examination so that he/she can put your mind at ease.

Hello

+2

You did not mention how long it’s been since your surgery? You should get yourself checkout by your PS. A sneeze cannot harm you, obviously without an exam it would be hard to tell.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS