Is Smoothbeam Necessary if I Plan to Get Deep FX?

I've had many consultations with conflicting answers. Since my T-zone is oily, my larges are large and I have acne scars, I plan on getting Deep FX. Do I still need to get multiple treatments of Smoothbeam (Diode 1450nm) to reduce future oil production? Or does the fractionated 10.6mm wavelength take care of all that? Thanks.

SmoothBeam likely not needed following DeepFX for oil glands

+1

I say likely because laser heat will affect your oil production. But a fractional laser will affect the skin in a different way because it is also removing skin.

DeepFX is a more deeply penetrating laser and is used primarily for moderate to more pronounced sun damage and some measure of tightening. Because this is usually a single treatment procedure with downtime, it is not usually the first choice for acne scars.

For acne scars, you may find the sister ActiveFX with several sessions, or Fraxel Restore, to be a better choice. With scars the goal is to remodel the collagen and smooth the skin.

Multiple treatments provide cumulative results and thus far in my opinion and experience Fraxel Restore has provided the best results for acne scars.

Smoothbeam does not wound the skin surface and does its work from beneath only, so although you do get some improvement in scarring, not to the same degree.

The heat impact from either laser will have some mitigating effect on your oil gland activity, at least for a period of time. It is really a wait and see situation.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoothbeam and Active FX

+1

The Active or Deep FX treatments go deeper than the Smoothbean and should be more effective than the Smoothbeam laser.  You should not need the Smoothbeam also.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon