Smooth Vs Textured?

I have already had a consult, im just wondering why smooth implants are better than textured.. Im 5'11, 145 but my number one concern is going to small and wanting bigger, and going to big and being uncomfotable when im running. My doc measured me but he said there is not a whole lot of difference betwee 450-485cc. I just want to be satisfied but there doesnt seem to be a solid answer on what till give me a D cup thats not too large.

Small implant placed retro-pectoral and simultaneous lift for athletic women

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or stated your bra size.  If you are size 32 or 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are size 36 or 38 each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  From this, you can calculate the size implant required to achieve your desired D cup.  However, you have not described the other aspects of your breasts, which are just as important.  Beauty is determined by several factors including symmetry, skin tone, position of breast on the chest wall, position of areola, shape, cleavage and least of all volume.  If you are very athletic it is best that you have silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural and are more stable long term.  However, you may benefit from a simultaneous technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your existing breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness and cleavage.  Using this technique, it is possible to use a smaller size implant to achieve the desired projection.  A smaller implant will be more comfortable for you since you are athletic.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Smooth vs Textured Breast Implants

+1

In my practice, I have the best results with smooth implants under the muscle. This enables the implant to move naturally with your body.  They are the most common implant used during a primary breast augmentation.  Textured implants are often used in a secondary breast augmentation for preventing recurrence of capsular contracture or during a primary subglandular breast augmentation.   I hope this helps.  Good luck.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Type of implant?

+1

Smooth implants are much easier to work with and much more forgiving when trying to get 'perfect' results.  In addition, textured implants rupture more often then smooth implants.  I always recommend smooth implants unless my patient is thin and want to go on top of the muscle... then the textured anatomic gel implant is recommended.

As for size, the dimensions from the implants you describe are only millimeters apart and will not make or break your results.  The MOST common complaint I get is "I wish I went bigger".

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast implants

+1

Now that you have chosen smooth vs. textured an you think that you have selected a volume, the best thing to do is a "baggy test" to see if you like the volume.

Smooth implants

+1

In my practice we tried texture saline implants above and below the pect. muscle. I found that capsule formation the same,more wrinkles in the textured implants and a lot more deflations. We didnt use the textured saline implants very long.I prefer smooth silicone gel implants under the muscle. Saline implants can look and feel very good if the patient has enough tissue to cover the implant. The long term care does not require interval M.RI s, and asymmetry is easily corrected.The size 450-480  sounds appropriate for your height

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Smooth Vs Textured?

+1

When texture implants were introduced, the holding was that they had fewer capsular contractures. Over the long term it seems that that was true for above the muscle implants, but that there was no advantage for under the muscle implants. Because there were more ripples with the textured implants, their use has diminished. 

No, there will not be a solid answer to sizing. There are no fixed definitions of cup size, and many patients fit into bras of 3 different cup sizes. Best advice I have is to try on implants, see what looks good to you, verify that your anatomy will work with that size, and ignore cup size. 

All the best. 

Smooth vs Textured

+1

If the implants are placed under the muscle, a smooth implant can be used.  If an implant is placed in a subglandular plane, the implant should probably be textured.   With regard to size, 200 cc to 250 cc may be one cup size in most women.  In a very small woman, less than 200 cc may be one cup size.