What is a Smooth Tuck?

What is a Smooth Tuck?

+3

This is a old idea re worked by Dr Schulman of NYC (a boarded PS), SMOOTH TUCK: A new procedure developed by surgeon Matthew Schulman M.D., helps those who aren't thin enough for a traditional tummy tuck. Unlike the tummy tuck, this new procedure, called Smooth Tuck, doesn't cut any muscles. This means significantly less pain and a recovery period of one week instead of two. In addition, according to Dr. Shulman's website, the Smooth Tuck repositions the belly button. However, this procedure is done from the inside and no visible scar can be seen. Furthermore, the Smooth Tuck procedure liposuctions the entire abdomen and flanks. The procedure removes two to three liters of fat and then takes off the excessive skin. Patients typically lose up to 10 pounds with this procedure.

To me it appears to be aggressive liposuction of the flanks, mid and upper abdomen (2 to 3 liters of lipo) than an extended skin incision as in a full tummy tuck without muscle repair. The undermining is kept to a small width so not the comprise the vascular supply to the central skin. As for the "no scar umbilical re positioning. He is doing the free floating umbilical lowering technique (again nothing new). Therefore a new name "SMOOTH TUCK" to old operative techniques. I must compliment Dr S for the PR he has gotten or had done. In most cases muscle tightening is a good idea but not always needed. Fees range from $8K. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Smooth tuck

+1

I've never heard of a smooth tuck, which means it's simply a marketing term.  I'm not a big fan of them as you can see from the other replies, not many plastic surgeons are.  Make sure you are going to a board certified plastic surgeon that is accredited by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Often those who are not are trying to appear to be just that.  Best Wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Tummy Tuck and Marketing Words.

+1

Smooth Tuck is a marketing term.  It is confusing to all.  I have no idea what is meant here. Go to a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and get a understandable diagnosis.   What works for the abdomen is some form of liposuction, tummy tuck surgery, or sometimes just exercise.   Go see an ABPS surgeon for a diagnosis you will understand.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

What the heck is a smooth tuck?

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure to contour the abdomen, create a tight beautiful waist, and remove extra fat, skin, and stretch marks.

Although there are many different methods to perform a tummy tuck, make sure that before choosing a surgical procedure that you understand what the surgeon is offering, that it makes sense to you, and if you have additional questions, seek a second consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in body contouring.
Such a surgeon will be able to thoroughly evaluate you and determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure and should be able to explain the treatment plan and how this plan will address your specific concerns.

Pat Pazmino, MD

The Smooth Tuck is Like "Naturalfill", "Lunchtime Lift", and "Liposculpture"

+1

Hi there-

The term "Smooth Tuck" is a gimmicky marketing term for a modification of the tummy tuck procedure in which liposuction is combined with removal of a bit of skin.

There are 2 questions that come to mind in response to yours... (that you should be asking your surgeon)

1. Why would a reputable surgeon resort to cute marketing gimmicks?

2. More importantly, why was this procedure recommended for you?

Choose a good surgeon- and don't worry about the machines he/she prefers or the names he/she gives procedures.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Smooth tuck

+1

This is a clever name for the combination of liposuction of the abdomen, combined with a skin resection.  No muscle repair is done, and the umbilicus (belly-button) is not repositioned.

In my opinion, since most women benefit from muscle repair if they've had children, the benefits of this procedure would be limited, compared to a tummy tuck with muscle plication.

While I don't call it a "smooth tuck", this is what I do for liposuction patients who don't have the greatest elasticity of their abdominal skin.  We combine the liposuction with a mini-tummy tuck style skin resection.

Hope that helps...

Thomas Fiala, MD

Smooth tuck or just smooth talk?

+1

The term "smooth tuck" sounds like a good marketing term.  I guess you are supposed to have a smooth result or a smooth post-op course?  Stick with the tried and true.

Smooth tuck: modified skin only tummy tuck (no muscle diastasis repair)

+1

The smooth tuck is a modified skin only tummy tuck (no muscle diastasis repair) and more commonly performed in men.

Lipo and skin removal

+1

This is a variation of the tummy tuck without muscle repair. Liposuction is done to remove the fat and then excess skin removed. This may work for the patients that never been pregnant . We been doing this for men for long time without a catchy name.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

What is a "Smooth Tummy Tuck"

+1

It seems to be a combination of aggressive trunk liposuction and a tummy tuck without tightening of the abdominal wall (to allow for a faster recovery). The concept appears to be a variation of the "lipo-abdominoplasty" technique. The "Smooth Tummy Tuck" is a marketing term but the results look good.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS