Smooth Vs Textured Saline Breast Implants?

I am looking to get Saline implants here in a couple of months, and was wondering if smooth or textured is better?

Smooth breast implants

+1

The textured breast implants are less likely to shift after placement, so they must be placed very precisely.  The texture also allows the placement of shaped implants.  They probably have a lower likelihood of capsular contracture.

Both okay for saline breast implants

+1

Hi,

Thank you for you question.

They are both okay. Some people think that textured implants have less of a tendency for capsular contracture; however, they tend to ripple more. I guess there are ups and downs to both. There are several factors that need to be discussed to determine which type is the best for you. When you go for you consultation, definitely go over this with your plastic surgeon. They should be able to give you the best personalized advice.

Best regards.

Sam Speron, MD

Smooth.

+1

Hi!

I strongly advise against textured breast implants. In my pretty large experience, they have no advantages and a number of disadvantages. You get more rippling with textured implants.

In NYC, we only use smooth walled implants for breast augmentation. Saline implants should be overfilled.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Different plastic surgeons will give different answers

+1

I prefer smooth implants for the most part because I like my patients to massage their implants. The theory is that the texturing on the implants discourages the tightening of the capsule around the implant. I have not found it to be beneficial because most of my patients implants are placed partly under the muscle. Talk with your plastic surgeon for their advice. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Both styles can work very nicely

+1

Both smooth and textured implants work well, it just depends mainly on the preference of the surgeon. Some folks think textured implants have a lower rate of capsular contracture (hardening of the scar around the implant), while others disagree. In my practice, I tend to use smooth round implants and have been happy with the results, but don't be surprised or alarmed if your surgeon wishes o use a textured implant-- you can expect a good result either way.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS