Smoking--is Less Worthless?

I researched smoking and surgery and was very upset to read the doctor who found smokers "stupid" despite his own past habit.Can we leave off on the value judgments and merely answer my question?(a "stupid" Ivy League B.A.,J.D., Ph.D,and smoker): If I cut down to bare minimum(2 cigs a day)will that decrease my risk of complications after surgery or must I completely stop? In other words, does the risk decrease with cigs smoked, or is it an all-or-nothing proposition (ie 2 packs/day=2 cigs/day)?

Smoking and Cosmetic surgery

+1

regarding 'I researched smoking and surgery and was very upset to read the doctor who found smokers "stupid" despite his own past habit.Can we leave off on the value judgments and merely answer my question?(a "stupid" Ivy League B.A.,J.D., Ph.D,and smoker): If I cut down to bare minimum(2 cigs a day)will that decrease my risk of complications after surgery or must I completely stop? In other words, does the risk decrease with cigs smoked, or is it an all-or-nothing proposition (ie 2 packs/day=2 cigs/day)?"

Dear Ivy League Attorney, No need for you  to get that emotional about one doctor's response. Contrary to your perception, most doctors do not look down their noses on smokers and alcoholic as a moral issue. When we see people tragically strruck down by disease and injury through no fault of their own, many of us find it very hard to see other fellow humans willingly destroy himself/herself. We have all seen former smokers strapped to oxygen just so they could breath roaming around. If we could reduce the number of smokers we could save tons of suffering and billions of health care dollars which could be diverted to better use.

There is no safe threshold for nicotine intake. To be safe and prolong your life and its quality, you might as well stop ALL nicotine today.

A SINGLE cigarette reduced blood flow through the skin. In my younger days I saw a smoker who after a finger re plantation went outside the ward for a single cigarette, he returned with the replanted finger dark blue and cold due to spasm in its artery caused by the nicotine.

Decide how long you want live and how much risk you want to assume. If you want to greatly lower the risk of surgery, stop taking nicotine in any fashion.

Good Luck it will be hard at first but I am sure you can do it.

Dr. Aldea

Wound healing can be impaired by cigarette smoking

+1

No one can truly answer that question in it's entirety but, YES, even one cigarette can effect wound healing and produce undesireable outocmees,

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.