Smoking and Rhinoplasty

I have had a hard time quiting, I have surgery in about 3 days and I have not smoked and do not plan to either, will I be okay for surgery??

Stop Smoking for rhinoplasty

+1

Although smokers may have wound healing issues with any type of surgery, decreasing the amount of smoking or quitting all together does appear to be beneficial in terms of healing.  With that said, smoking does not seem to have as much of an effect on rhinoplasty as it does with operations such as facelifts. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to refrain from smoking for four to six weeks prior to surgery, and four to six weeks following surgery. Smoking will increase swelling and may reduce your body's circulation. As a result, this may delay your healing time.  Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Smoking and Plastic Surgery

+1

Cigarettes contain nicotine, in addition to hundreds of other chemicals.  Nicotine is a very powerful vasoconstrictor (it literally chokes all the vessels in your body).  This will result in decreased blood flow everywhere, including the site of surgery.

To have the best chance of healing, most surgeons recommend discontinuing cigarettes a MINIMUM of 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery.  This should include SECOND HAND smoke and NICOTINE patches or gum.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1

For the best rhinoplasty results, it is a good idea to stop smoking 3 weeks before and after the procedure.  Smoking should not effect the outcome dramatically, but it will cause the nose to be more swollen for a longer period of time. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking cigarettes increases complications of surgery significantly. I recommend to my patients to stop at least 4 weeks prior to surgery and stay off the cigarettes for at least 4 weeks after or until healed.

Stop smoking if you can for rhinoplasty

+1

We all know the risks with smoking and general health, and most have an understanding that patients do better during surgery and anesthesia if they don't smoke. The word seems to be out too, that with certain cosmetic procedures smoking can dramatically increase the risks of poor healing. I am glad that you are concerned about the impact of smoking. Fortunately, smoking poses little risk in nasal shaping or rhinoplasty. Despite your habit you should do well.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1

Better to ask your doctor since he is doing the operation. We can only comment that smoking can delay healing and cause more bleeding. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.