Can I Smoke From A Hookah 12 Days After Surgery?

Hi I do not smoke or drink however on occasion I smoke hookah. I have not been in a month because of my surgery but my best friends birthday is 12 days after my rhinoplasty and it's at a hookah place. If I smoke hookah this night will it affect my results even though It's just one time and not on a regular basis? Thanks!

+2

Dear Sg,

While in general, smoking is detrimental for not only your health, but also your healing process, smoking a small amount of hookah occasionally will probably not affect your nose 12 days after surgery. However, you should always keep your surgeon informed.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Hookah Smoking

+2

Hi Sg,   You should discuss this matter with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Smoking hookah 12 days after your rhinoplasty should not affect your rhinoplasty results.  Good luck and be well.    Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Smoking a littl hookah 12 days after surgery likely ok but speak with your plastic surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question.  Its likely that your plastic surgeon will tell you that its better not to do so as, although the chance is small, the risk of a complication is not worth it.  You will have to make a judgement call on this one.  Just being around the hookah smoke is likely to result in you inhaling quite a bit of smoke.  Taking a few puffs off of the hookah is not likely to make a difference.  It eventually comes down to chances and deciding for yourself what is most important.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Smoking Hookah After Surgery #nosejob

+1

You won't get much love on this one from a bunch of doctors. First, it is never a good idea to smoke anything. Second, it will not help your wound healing at all if their are any vasoconstrictive chemicals in the Hookah.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Smoking Hookah after rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking Hookah definitely won't help the healing process. I would discuss this with your surgeon and plan accordingly.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1

Although there is no clear evidence of this ... I find smoking to be detrimental to natural healing of nasal lining and I recommend to my patients that they should either give up smoking during the peri-operative period or use alternatives where the nose in not exposed to the noxious elements directly. I would recommend avoiding the active as well as passive smoking for nearly six weeks after surgery. Hope that doesn't spoil your party !

Munish Shandilya, MD
Dublin Facial Plastic Surgeon