Do I Have to Stop Smoking Before Breast Implants?

I am 25 yrs old and a mother to 3 beautiful children. I have breatsfeed all three of them and currently stopped about 2 to 3 weeks ago with my daughter who turned 1 about 3 weeks ago. I have gained and lost ALOT of WEIGHT 3 times. And i'm talking about 100 of pounds or less 3 times. So as you can imagine how saggy and ugly my breats now look as I 'am skinny again. So I have decided to get a lift and implants. I don't realy know what size i'am now. I say about a big A or a small B. Its to hard to tell cause I have so much loose skin, and where bra's of 34 C and stick big fake gel booby's in my bra to fill them up and make me look bigger. My doc advise me to go with 425cc and says that I will most likely be a full B to a C. But I would like to be a D. Also I have heard that since I'm getting the implants behind the muscle I will loose about 30 to 50cc. So to make a very long story short " I'am SO VERY confused and just so torned on witch way to go. I think 500cc will do me good. I have been walking around with rice in a stocking in my sports bra, 1 with 425cc and the other with 500cc. And I like the 500cc but still not sure what size I will end up with. He is putting cohisive silicone gel implants in me. I'm 5'8 , weigh 150, about a size 3 or 5 in pants, dress size 4 or 6 and have a size 10 foot. So i'am a bigger bone girl and have been all my life. So I want to look like I have breats and it looks natural and to my BODY!!! PLS HELP ANYBODY!! What size should I go? And I'am a smoker, its so hard to stop and my doc wants me too. If I cut back to like 1 to 2 a day will that make a difference? PLEASE HELP! From a mother of 3 who is soooooo confused.. Thank you so much!

It is good to stop smoking

+3

Smoking is a risk to the surgery with a higher chance of infection and poor healing with larger scars. To place implants, I do not insist that patients stop smoking but they are told of the higher risks and they can proceed as they desire. Less smoking is always better but you need about two weeks from your last cigarette to get some improvement in your risks.

The size of the implants is very important to final out come and long term results. If you have done the rice test then I would go with the volume of rice that you feel is best for you. A 425cc implant will probably be a C size bra and anything larger will get you close to a D. Implants that are too large for your body will have the effect of bottoming out and sagging because your tissue is not able to hold up the weight.

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

+1
Smoking is a big “problem” when patients undergo procedures that involve flaps, such as facelifting, breast lifting, and tummy tuck surgery. It is of less concern for patients undergoing procedures through small incisions, such as breast augmentation surgery. No doubt, it will still be in your best interests from the incision line healing aspect, pulmonary health status, and overall “healthy lifestyle” standpoints to beat your addiction. Best wishes.

Do I have to stop smoking before breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous with placement of the implant beneath, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences. The most devastating consequence of infection, especially since an implantable prosthetic device is used, is increased. This along with wound healing and scarring. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Stop smoking before breast implants.

+1

How to pick breast implant sizes
View Edit

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
Contact the doctor
1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Web reference: http://www.drberaka.com/proc_performed/breast_aug_surgery.html
Helpful?Last modified 3 months ago

How to pick breast implant sizes
View Edit

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
Contact the doctor

Helpful?Last modified 3 months ago

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Smoking and breast augmentation

+1

Smoking is a no no! This increases the complication rate significantly. I recommend stopping 3-4 weeks prior to surgery and keeping off them for 3-4 weeks after syrgery. In terms of size, it all depends upon the shape of the implant. Larger volume will give you a bigger cup, you are tall and it probably would be OK.