Smoking Before Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty consultation yesterday and as of now, my surgery date is April 3. I threw away my cigarettes and don't plan on starting again. I was wondering if it would it be okay to go through with my procedure. I heard that the nose isn't very vascular, so since I quit, will I have trouble healing? I know it depends from patient to patient, but I would appreciate some feedback/advice. Thanks!

Smoking before rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to stop smoking  several weeks prior to the rhinoplasty and  2 weeks after   the rhinoplasty procedure. The nose is quite vascular and has an excellent blood supply, contrary to which  you heard in the past.

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking impacts wound healing and can increase complications by 50%. I recommend to my patients to stop at least 3-4 weeks for most procedures.

Smoking per se is not a contraindication to rhinoplasty.

+1

Most of us plastic surgeons eschar patients to quit smoking several weeks prior to elective operation. Contrary to what you heard the nose is exquisitely vascular it would not be in jeopardy because of smoking. Nevertheless if your surgeon has requested that you see smoking a given time before the operation, please do so.

Smoking before rhinoplasty

+1
I have patients quit 4-6 weeks before surgery and refrain for at least 2-3 weeks after. By that time most people have quit for good. Check with your surgeon to see if you have quit soon enough before surgery.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Before Rhinoplasty?

+1

I always recommend quitting smoking for at least several weeks before AND after surgery. This is actually a great opportunity for you to give up a very unhealthy habit. Quitting smoking will not impair your breathing. In fact, quitting smoking will improve your nasal breathing as well as lung function. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Before Rhinoplasty

+1

I always ask patients about smoking before offering rhinoplasty.  Conventional wisdom is to abstain from smoking for a month prior to surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Smoking before rhinoplasty

+1

Each surgeon may have different rules in regards to cigarette smoking and rhinoplasty, or any surgery.  I would highly recommend that you discuss this issue with your particular surgeon and get his or her advice, as he or she will have the most information in regards to your procedure and your medical health.  I personally ask that patients discontinue smoking one month before surgery, but exceptions can sometimes be made.  Again, I would discuss this issue with your surgeon as it is important information that could affect your outcome.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon