Smoking Before Breast Augmentation Surgery

I am scheduled for breast implant surgery on July 14th, I quit smoking on June 29th and it is so hard so I did smoke 1 cigarette on july 4th and none since will everything be ok?

+1
Smoking is a big “problem” when patients undergo procedures that involve flaps, such as facelifting, breast lifting, and tummy tuck surgery. It is of less concern for patients undergoing procedures through small incisions, such as breast augmentation surgery. No doubt, it will still be in your best interests from the incision line healing aspect, pulmonary health status, and overall “healthy lifestyle” standpoints to beat your addiction. Best wishes.

Smoking before breast augmentation surgery?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Ask Your Surgeon About Smoking Before Breast Augmentation

+1
Cigarette smoke can compromise a patient's recovery because it makes the body weaker against infection and delays wound healing. You should ask your surgeon if smoking that cigarette was okay. Only they would be able to adequately let you know.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Smoking and breast augmentation.

+1

As you can imagine, smoking is bad for breast augmentation, (and surgery in general). When one takes a drag on a cigarette, the chemicals cause vasoconstriction. Wound healing is all about getting blood flow and oxygen to the tissue. I believe that you will find that each doctor may have a different opinion as to how long you need to be off cigarettes. Some will test for nicotine in the system. Best to talk with a board certified plastic surgeon. Also best to quit smoking, (for a variety of other health reasons as well).

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

+1

I typically recommend the cessation of smoking for one month prior to any elective procedure and for at least 6 weeks following the procedure.  Kenneth Hughes breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA