Smokers Risks for Local Anesthesia For Brazilian Butt Lift?

I smoke socially, no smoking on the week, one pack y the weekend.... I am having surgery in one week, but is local anesthesia, lipo with fat transfer to the butocks. I am very skinny just little fat in abs and back. 5'3 122 lbs. What are the complications of being a smoker with loccal aneshesia?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Picking the right anesthesia for a Brazilian butt lift

+2

Thank you for your question! The Brazilian butt lift is one of the most common procedures in our practice here in Miami. It is the next step in the evolution of liposuction and body contouring in that we can create a beautiful shape for the patient and then use the fact that traditionally had been discarded to sculpt wonderful new curves. These success for this procedure is highly dependent on the experience of the surgeon and technique that is used. In the hands of a surgeon with little experience, the patient may lose a lot of the volume and the curves that were created.
Two issues concern me about your question. Smoking cigarettes is unfortunately the most efficient way for your body to ingest nicotine. Nicotine is not only addictive but is the worst chemical that we know of that affects blood vessels. Nicotine can inhibit the growth of new blood vessels and constrict existing ones. This is very important in a Brazilian butt lift as the success of this procedure is highly dependent on these tiny little vessels. I tell my patients who are smokers that if they continue to smoke before and after the procedure that a great deal of the fat that we will use to sculpt their new curves will go away. This is an extremely important issue so please be sure to discuss this with the board-certified plastic surgeon who is helping you.

The other issue that concerns me is performing this surgery under local anesthesia. If you are a slim person, your case may be more challenging than a heavier patient. The doctor will need to thoroughly remove as much fat as possible, from difficult areas to get you a beautiful result. This may be very uncomfortable or even impossible under local anesthesia. Finally, to ensure that the most amount of fat will survive after the procedure, the doctor needs to inject the fact into your gluteal muscles. This can be very very uncomfortable with just local anesthesia.

To get the beautiful results that are possible with this procedure, make sure that you are working with an experienced plastic surgeon and someone who's board-certified by the American Board of plastic surgery. Also make sure that they have privileges to perform this procedure in settings other than just their office. If they are only able to perform surgery in their office and no hospital will let them operate thean this is a red flag. This is one easy way for patients to assess the credentials of their surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/brazilian_butt_lift_photos.htm

Brazilian Butt Lift Under Local anesthesia

+2

We have routinely and safely performed Brazilian butt lift under local anesthesia. It requires a lot of experience to get a great result using local anesthesia. Many of our patients in Atlanta and from around the world prefer this procedure under local anesthesia. Many patients do not want general anesthesia. I prefer Brazilian buttock lift under General anesthesia and it is more comfortable, however, the demand for the procedure under local anesthesia stimulated my interest and research. Today, the majority of our Brazilian Butt lift has been performed either under local or using minimal sedation. It has become very tolerable under local using our special technique. Experience matters! Our patients have minimal discomfort after the procedure and go home the same day.

Smoking is not recommended prior to any surgical procedure. Our patients are informed of the risk of tobacco use and instructed to stop smoking about 1 month prior to surgery. Smoking increases the risk of complication after most surgical procedures.

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com/body-procedures-atlanta/brazilian-buttock-lift/

A Brazilian Butt Lift under Local Anesthesia?

+2

I perform a lot of brazilian butt lift procedures and the thought of doing it under local anesthesia has never crossed my mind.  Perhaps you misunderstood?  Or the amount of work being done is extremely minimal.

At 5'3" and 122 you probably do not have a lot of excess fat that can be used for a significant butt change.

Finally, to address your question, smoking is one of the worst things you can do when having a Brazilian Butt Lift.  During this procedure fat cells are 'grafted' into the butt and they need every help possible to survive.  Smoking significantly interferes with your body's ability to heal at it's maximal potential and thus you're looking at a significant loss of fat cells after the surgery.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC (Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute)

Web reference: http://www.torontosurgery.ca/Toronto-Brazilian-Butt-Lift.html

Brazilian Butt Lift under Local Anesthesia?

+2

I am suprised that you are having a brazilian butt lift under local anesthesia. I perform this surgery routinely and it is extremely difficult to do under local anesthesia. You essentially have to inject local into the area where the fat is coming from and also into the areas that fat is going to. You must be very careful not to exceed dangerous levels. This may work if only very small amount of fat is being transferred. I would be curious to know if this is a board certified plastic surgeon performing this surgery.

Smoking and Buttock Augmentation

+1

Cigarettes will not affect the local anesthesia. However, cigarette smoke contains a number of toxic agents that can adversely affect wound healing in surgical patients. If you were my patient I would ask you to abstain from cigarettes for 2 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after surgery. If you're having this operation to improve your shape and you don't have much fat to spare, then every little bit of fat that survives is important. Since you're a social smoker you should have no problem stopping for that amount of time. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

Web reference: http://www.westonsurgery.com