What is the Best Treatment for Smokers' Lines?

What is best for the lines on my upper lip?

Smoker's lines

+1

The deep vertical lines above the upper lip are one of the first signs of skin aging and are usually referred to as “Smoker’s lines”. Due to smoking and sun damage, these lines become more prominent by with time. Laser treatment, in combination with Botox and superficial fillers, can effectively fight stubborn creases around the mouth. Fraxel or Portrait Plasma promote collagen production, meanwhile 4-5 units of Botox injected to the small lines around the mouth will relax them, thereby diminishing the appearance of fine lines.

Smoker's lines in your upper lip may be reduced by a well performed Injectable Filler treatment.

+1

The smoker's lines or "bar-code" wrinkles in your upper lip may be dramatically reduced with a carefully placed Injectable Filler. The lines must be deep for Injectable Fillers. If the lines are too shallow, you may see the product (bumps) at the sites of injection. Silikon-1000 is my personal preference and leads to permanent results.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination treatment for smoker lines

+1

Considering the wrinkles around the mouth: Stop smoking if you are still doing so. Protect the skin. Visit a doctor experienced in treating the condition. In many cases a deep chemical peel may help. Deep CO2 laser has been shown to cause more depigmentation than phenol peeling.

Other treatments may be recommended, depending on the condition in question.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of deep lines around the mouth or smokers' lines.

+1

I do not think there is a best treatment for all patients. For a given patient the best option will also depend on the physician treating the process and the background of that physician. I am sure you could find 2 doctors who could achieve very similar results while using different approaches. My personal preference for this laser resurfacing and subcision. I just do not like injections near the lips because of the risks of lumps forming but then since I do not do these injections I only see the patients who come in with the lumps after someone else injected them.

Aaron Stone, MD

Combination Botox and filler

+1

Smokers' Lines are those wrinkles which propel out of the mouth like spokes on a wheel.  While many people develop them from smokers some patients just have them from pursing their lips when they talk,using a straw, whistling are punching out too many b's and p's.

I combine treatments when treating smokers lines. I will place Botox injections around the lip to discourage smokers lines.This is a great area for a filler: such as Juvederm. Occasionally I will use the underplayed Cosmoderm which can be injected superficailly.

In good hands, a good combination will do wonders. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Best Treatment for "Smoker's Lines"

+1

Depending on your skin type and your ability to take time from work, the best would be a combination of Juvederm and deep laser skin resurfacing. However, most people do not want to put up with the swelling and raw wounds for a few days and for those people we have treatments which are good but less impressive (small doses of Botox, minor laser or IPL treatments and filler injections into the folds).