How Long Between Smoking and MOM?

I've saved up, lost almost all of the weight and am researching who will be my PS for a mommy makeover. Unfortunately I have fallen back to a weakness.........smoking. I understand you MUST be a non smoker in order to go through such an involved surgery. I am excited to quit and honestly this surgery is giving me the will power to finally be able to do it. My question is how long do I have to be an ex-smoker before I would be an eligible candidate for a full TT, lipo, & breast aug.? BTW-age 34

How long between smoking and MOM

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mommy makeover where the viability of the skin/tissue, belly button, and nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

No Smoking or Nicotine 8 weeks before Mommy Makeover

+1

Thank you for your question. Smoking can reduce the amount of blood flowing to your skin and create very serious complications after a Mommy Makeover.

Some studies have shown that 5 weeks abstinence is adequate however the Mommy Makeover creates unique and serious stress on the blood flow to your tummy and breasts after surgery.

I recommend waiting 8 weeks after complete cessation of smoking and abstinence from Nicotine. This includes Nicotine patches and gum.

I also do a blood test just before surgery to be certain there is no nicotine in  your system just before surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Smoking and surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Now that you've lost the weight and saved up your money, the last thing you want is a complication after surgery!  Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and it will greatly decrease your chance of a complication after surgery. Tobacco smoke has been proven to interfere with wound healing and increase your chance of a capsular contracture. So it is best to quit smoking for at least 4 weeks before surgery.  Good luck!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and the Effects of Smoking

+1

It is critical to stop smoking prior to surgery. For my patients I require a minimum of 2 weeks before and two weeks after, but the longer the better.Smoking increases inflammation which in turn increases the risk of numerous complications such as; pneumonia, cardiac arrest, heart attack, stroke and infection to name a few. If you have quit for a month perhaps you can make it permanent and enjoy a healthy new body! Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Quit smoking before surgery. / Deje de fumar antes de la cirugia

+1

Quit smoking is probable the most beneficial thing you can do prior to surgery to help prevent complications.  Obviously the further before surgery to best.  But in my experience the most important thing is not to cheat!!  Even one cigarette after surgery can destroy all the surgeon's hard work and be a big financial drain for you.  This goes for marijuana as well.  Remember that smoking ages you and is extremely harmful for your children.  Good luck with your procedure!

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Dejar de fumar is probablemente lo mas benefico que usted pueda hacer antes de su cirugia para prevenir complicaciones. Obviamente lo mas pronto que lo haga antes de su cirugia mejor. En mi experiencia lo mas imporante es no enganarse a si mismo. Hasta un solo cigarro despues de cirugia puede hechar a perder todo el trabajo duro del cirujano y convertirse en una gran perdida financiera para usted. Esto sirva igual para la marijuana. Acuerdese de que fumar envejece y es extremamente danino para todos los ninos.

Suerte en su cirugia!

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Smoking and cosmetic surgery

+1

I tell my patients to stop smoking 2 weeks before and after a mommy makeover.  However, with a history of smoking your risks of wound healing complications is higher.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Stop smoking for at least four weeks before a mommy makeover

+1

You should be off all nicotine and tobacco related products for at least four weeks before having a mommy makeover procedure. The longer you can stop smoking before (and after) surgery, the lower your risk of wound healing complications. Each plastic surgeon has his or her own guidelines, but most would recommend about four weeks of no smoking before surgery. Please discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

How Long Should I Quit Smoking?

+1

Dear ReadyForReset, While there is no hard or fast rules about this, as you can see by the variety of answers, most of us would recommend stopping smoking at least 2-4 weeks before surgery and at least 4 weeks after surgery. This includes ALL nicotine products. By stopping smoking you will reduce, but not eliminate, your risks of diminished blood supply, infection and pneumonia to mention a few. Once you've stopped smoking for 6-8 weeks you should well on your way to quitting for good. Best wishes.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A minimum of three weeks before surgery

+1

One must completely stop smoking a minimum of three weeks prior to the procedures you desire. In addition, nicotine substitutes in any form such as patches or gum cannot be used as an aid to quitting. It is the nicotine in the cigarette itself that is the main cause of problems after surgery.

David A. Ross, MD