Botox or Restylane for Smoker Lines?

Which works best to take away smoker lines above my upper lip: Botox or Restylane?

Both

+2

My patients seem to prefer a combination. The Botox relaxes the lines and "allows" the filler to pull hem out and flatten them. I believe that the botox helps the filler last longer as well. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Most "smokers lines" respond best to a combination of collagen and Botox

+2

Most cases of "smokers lines" repond best to a combination of collagen and Botox in people looking for a no downtime approach. Once Evolence Breeze is approved in the U.S., it will likely replace collagen for upper lip lines Restylane and Juvederm are too bulky to placed effectively within the lines and may lump up. The ideal treatment for upper lip lines is fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing which gives a long lasting improvement.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Injectable fillers work well for upper lip lines.

+2

Dear Curious,

I haven't done Botox for upper lip wrinkles in years. The results were only good if the lines were shallow. Also, Botox will diminish your ability to purse your lips, which is only helpful if you want to stop smoking or using straws.

I've attatched a photo of a woman that received Silikon-1000 to many facial wrinkles, including the "bar-code" on her upper lip.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination

+1

Restylane is a good filler for this area ( as would be Juvederm). Cosmoderm I think actually works better since it is a bit stiffer but the results last only half as long.

Botox can be injected judiciously into this area in addition. This helps relax the muscles that cause "smoker's lines".

If I were to chose between the two, I would recommend Restylane over Botox.

Make sure you do not smoke, and do not use straws.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist