Treatment for "Smoker Lines" on a Non-smoker?

I'm not a smoker, but I have "smoker lines" above my top lip. What is the best course of action to correct these lines? I've heard collagen or Juvederm, but I do not want my lips to look fuller, just the lines filled in.

Smoker Lines Treatment

+2

Hi So Cal Cari,

They have been called "smoker's lines", recently "bottled water drinker lines", and even "bar code lines". Whatever "they" wish to call them, we just want to get rid of them. They most likely come from sun exposure, poor skin care, and genetics.

Either Preville Silk or cosmoderm are my preferences for treating the vertical lines of the upper lip along with 4 units of strategically placed Botox (enough to help with the lines, not enough to let you drool you minestrone soup from the corner of your mouth).

Fractionated carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers such as Lumenis' Total FX and Solta's Fraxel re:pair are very good at smoothing the lines. Depending on how leathery those lines/folds are, it may take from 1 to 3 treatments. This is a great alternative for patients who desire a more permanent result, and don't want to have repeated 30 gauge needle injections in their kisser.

This advice holds true for both Trojans and Bruins.

Be well.

Dr. P

Chemical Peels and Laser Skin Resurfacing

+2

I also agree with the use of Botox and Hyaluronic acid fillers for smokers lines.  Other options included both chemical peels and laser skin resurfacing. 

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try Botox injections around the mouth

+2

Non-smokers get "smoker's lines" around the mouth usually from the way they move their mouth when talking. You might pucker your lips a lot when you speak. Certainly you can try using the fillers to improve the lines, they don't always make the lips look larger, it depends on how they are injected. However, you might want to try Botox injections. Very small amounts of Botox can weaken the lines around the mouth and soften your "non-smoker's" lines. An added benefit to using Botox is it may get you out of the habit of pursing your lips when you talk.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lines on upper lip

+1

Treatment of the lines of the upper lip can be corrected with filler either directly in the line or along the lip line border.

Filler or laser

+1

Fractional CO2 will give the best results that will last the longest. Juvederm, Restylane, Prevelle Silk, and Cosmoderm in expert hands will give results lasting 3-12 months, depending on the patient and the depth of the lines. A little Botox will make the filler last longer.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Smoker lines

+1

I agree with Dr. Kontis that you may want to try Botox. Fillers including Restylane, Juvederm and collagen (Cosmoderm, Cosmoplast) when used appropriately can work very well to fill in these wrinkles without causing your lip to appear larger (although there is some swelling that can last for a few days after the procedure). Please consult a board certified physician in your area to discuss these options.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist