Smoked Two Days Before Nose Surgery. Is It Really That Bad?

I barely smoke socially. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Two days ago I was at a party and got a little tipsy and smoked two cigarettes. I'm having a nose job tomorrow and since I was with my dad at the moment of the pre op interview with the anesthesiologist, I couldn't say yes to "do you smoke?" I denied. I also didn't know that I had to quit smoking for at least 2-3 weeks, my surgeon's secretary gave me the pre op requirements list on friday and I didn't read that smoking part.

+1

There is a small increased risk of a complication following rhinoplasty in smokers. The risk is correlated with the amount of smoking as well as the frequency. A couple of cigarettes prior to surgery likely will not create significant risk but it is impossible to rule that out completely. I hope this information is helpful. Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/functional-rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Carl,

Thank you for your question.  While you should quite smoking, most likely, a couple cigarrettes will not kill your result.  You should be honest with your plastic surgeon, and he will monitor your progress.  If part of your nose looks like it is not getting enough blood flow, there are measures that can be taken to help this.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and healing in rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question.  My best recommendation is to call your plastic surgeons office and tell them that you had two cigarettes a few days before your surgery.  They can guide you along the best decision making process.  I suspect that they will be fine to proceed as long as you are healthy and that you do not smoke after surgery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com