I Smoked 5 Cigarettes a Week After Rhinoplasty, Did I Damage the Results?

Dear doctors, I just had a closed rhinoplasty done last week, it is beautiful and I'm so happy with it but I smoked 5 cigarettes today. I now have a little blue line at the bottom of my nose and I didn't have it yesterday. I want to cry because I have been given the most beautiful nose. I threw my pack of cigarettes away. I know I shouldn't have done it, and I won't do it anymore. I just want to know what to do. Could it have ruined the results? Please help.

+1

IMHO, it's unlikely that smoking that small amount would have any impact on post Rhinoplasty healing but you may want to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon this question.

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking before or after a Rhinoplasty is not a contraindication  (although it should never be recommended). It is doubtful that you caused damage and I would not worry about it. Other procedures such as Face Lift and Abdominoplasty are associated more commonly with problems if you smoke in the peri operative period. I would still avoid any further smoking (better yet-quit). If the blue persists, I would see your surgeon.

Scott R. Brundage, M.D.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cigarettes and rhinoplasty

+1

Cigarettes are a no no!  They cause tissue ischemia and prevent oxygen to get to the tissue properly.  

Smoking shouldn't affect your rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking seems to have very little affect on rhinoplasty and it is very unlikely that you ruined your result with a few cigarettes. Good to quit though.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that you did permanent damage to your nose with 5 cigarettes.  But smoking does affect healing and the smoke irritates the recently traumatized nasal mucosa.  I would not smoke.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty and Cigarette Smoking

+1

I very much doubt that you have injured your nose by smoking in the immediate post-op period.  having stated this smoking long term can have a very negative effect on the nose and you should really try hard to quit.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon