Will my Smile Go Back to Normal After Rhinoplasty?

I had a Rhinoplasty to correct a deviated septum. I am concerned and worried as my smile is not the same. It also hurts to laugh as though I have a stitch ripping my skin below my nose. Will my smile ever be normal again? It was the one thing I loved about myself and now its gone.

Smile will be normal after rhinoplasty

+4

Most likely, your smile will return to normal. After a rhinoplasty, swelling tends to occur at the base of the nose, causing a distorted smile. However, if certain grafts were placed, this can sometimes alter the smile. Ask you surgeon if any grafts were used at the base of the nose.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

This will all subside, and the smile will come back to normal.

+4

The smile can be restricted for the first few weeks after a rhinoplasty until all swelling has subsided in the base of the nose. There does tend to be a restriction of smiling due to the swelling. This will all subside, and the smile will come back to normal.

Swelling can affect muscles around upper lip

+4

Usually any change in smile after septoplasty or rhinoplasty is temporary and is usually due to edema around several of the muscles below the nose.  This should improve with additional time for healing.

Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't worry your smile will come back after your rhinoplasty

+3

This is very normal and due to swelling as well as some intereference with the muscles of the upper lip.

As the swelling subsides and the muscles begin to work, you old smile will return.

This may take 3 months but the vast majority subsides by 3 weeks.

Smile should return to normal

+3

Dear Michele,

You rhinoplasty / septoplasty should have very little to do with your smile muscles. As you heal the movements in your face should return to normal and you will have fewer symptoms. Some of these muscles were affected by the swelling and injections that happened around the nose.

Give it more time and things should become more normal.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty...Will Smile Return to Normal

+2

Hi Mchele,

If you are happy with the results of your rhinoplasty, your smile should return very soon.

Often times during septo-rhinoplasty the muscle fibers between the base of the nose and the upper lip are separated. This results in an upper lip that does not elevate properly, covering your gums and upper teeth when you smile. These muscle fibers usually grow back together within a few weeks, and your smile should return to normal at that time.

Be well and I hope that your smile returns to normal very soon.

Dr. P

Yes, you should be smiling normally soon.

+2

Hi, it sounds like you still have a lot of swelling from your surgery if you note a change in your smile and discomfort when laughing. Some surgeons release a small muscle underneath the upper lip to correct nasal tip drooping which occurs when some people smile. You should ask your surgeon if you had this muscle release performed, as this will cause some temporary discomfort. However, this would not permanently change your smile, only the droop of the nasal tip. If you still have problems or concerns several months after surgery, you should certainly ask your surgeon about these. Best wishes.

Changes are likely temporary

+2

With out pictures or a timeline for your surgery, it is hard to give specific advice.  However, after any surgery, you can experience temporary changes in the balance of your muscles of animation.  It can take several weeks to months for everything to settle.  Good luck with your recovery.

Smile change after rhinoplasty/septoplasty

+1

A smile is acomplex neuromusclar reflex caused by the contracture of multiple small facial muscles that are stretched over the facial skeleton. We all have the same musculture, but no two smiles are alike . Swelling and the temporary weakness that occurs with nasal surgery will TEMPORARILY affect a smile. However, in some smiles the nose is pulled down spoiling the smile. A well done rhinoplasty can often correct this.

If your stitches are still in it's to early to tell.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon