Will I be able to smile after scc was removed from my upper lip?

I had reconstructive surgery done one week ago after removal of scc from my upper lip. There was a triangle of muscle removed from beneath my left nostril to my lip. It was described to me that the MOHs surgery area was about dime sized. When swelling goes down, will I be able to smile? Right now my muscles quiver when I try and it is rather uncomfortable.

+1
Time will tell how things settle. Without knowing exactly what was done during your surgery it is hard to give specific advice. However, after flap repair of upper lip defects, it is not uncommon for the smile and lip movements to look abnormal. This will likely improve significantly over time. You should have a followup scheduled around one week to ensure that you are healing well. At that time, you can pose this question to your reconstructive surgeon and they will be able to give you very specific advice about how things will heal over time.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mohs and reconstructive surgery on the upper lip and smiling

+1
After Mohs and reconstructive surgery the area can be swollen and sore for a few days. Speak to your Mohs surgeon about how to care for this. Usually I recommend icing and elevation but every surgeon is different. Most likely your smile will remain the way it was before. Even small dime sized holes require more extensive reconstructive surgery because the lip is an anatomically complex area and sometimes we need to pull the hole closed without elevating part of your lip.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon