I Can't Smile After my Rhinoplasty. When This Gets Better, Will my Tip Be Droopy Again? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 2.5 wks ago. My surgeons told me prior to the procedure to correct the tip they would excise the muscle connecting my lip to the tip. I understand that the inability to smile normally & the weird, droopy shape of my lips are temporary b/c of this; but now I'm worried the tip of my nose will become droopy again once this heals? I like the way my nose looks now. There are still stitches in the tip too. *Attached pics showing nose & droopy lips(lips are real, everyone asks).

Difficulty smiling

+2

It is normal for the smile to be affected early after a rhinoplasty; especially if treatment involved muscle devision.  Things should improve over time.  The tip should not droop again if properly supported at the time of surgery.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Drooping tip Rhinoplasty

+2

Congratulations on a beautiful result! You're right in saying that the change in your smile and shape of your lips is temporary because the muscle was cut that connected the tip of the nose with the lip. Once the swelling resolves, it is very unlikely the tip will droop again. Although I cannot be sure, it's likely your surgeon performed other maneuvers to reshape the tip and give it an independent structure with support that will counteract the muscle action that was pulling it down previously. Because of this, the tip will now be able to stand alone when you regain your original smile. Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Anita Sethna, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

I Can't Smile After my Rhinoplasty. When This Gets Better, Will my Tip Be Droopy Again?

+1

Dear CoverGirl,

thank you for your question and photos.  Everything you said is normal.  Once the swelling resolves to the lip area, your smile will come back.  If there was complete dis-insertion of the muscle to the nasal septum, then it will not grow back or reattach.  You have a very nice result.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is the 3rd concern following rhinoplasty posted in todays questions! I wonder do the surgeons discuss healing phases and time with you before operating? Or do you not understand healing takes months. Best to call your surgeon for a FULL discussion on healing time frames.