Smile After Chin Implant?

Im 10 days post-op and from what I can tell most of the swelling is gone and it looks good. My surgeon used a large implant and told me my smile would not be effected since he was making the incision under the chin. My lip and chin are still numb and my smile looks smaller and weird. My bottom lip almost feels like its higher and when I talk it doesn't move much and my bottom teeth are not visable. Are the effects on my speech and smile due to the numbness or is there more to it than that?

Swelling following chin implant

+1

Sorry to hear about the negative side effects you are experiencing following your implant. 10 days is still soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal to be experiencing some numbness and swelling at this time. Swelling and numbness may affect your ability to smile. The numbness may have a slight effect on your speech. Hang in there, as it will take a little bit of time to heal. In the meantime, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery. Thank you and good luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Swelling after chin implant...

+1

The things that you are describing can be from normal healing.  Swelling is normal after having this procedure and this can cause the smile and lip to look unnatural for a while.  The speech may be a little off right after surgery, but within a couple weeks it should be back to normal.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early in the post operative period after chin implant

+1

It is very difficult to give a proper answer with out a physical exam or at least a picture. But majority swelling can last 6 weeks and final results may take 6 to 12 months to notice. It could be that the swelling are still causing the issues you are describing. regarding the numbness if it is only on one side I would be concerned about injury or compression of the mental nerve from the surgery or the implant. I would see your surgeon as soon as possible to address that issue.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon