Smelly Bleeding from Belly Button 2 and a Half Months Post Tummy Tuck?

i experienced seroma after tummy tuck.. everything went normal for more than 2 months but in the past 3 weeks my belly button is discharging smelly blood.is it normal?? does the fowl smell indicate some kind of infection??

Tummy Tuck

+1

While it is not typical, the drainage you are having could be due to different causes.  Possible draining seroma can be present but I would expect persistent and larger amounts of drainage.  If you are getting daily spotting in smaller amounts, it is possible that there may be some delayed healing and dead skin on the umbillicus (belly button) stalk itself.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you identify the cause and the solution may be as simple as wound cleansing, antibiotic ointment dressings and patience.  I recommend an exam by your surgeon.  I hope this information is helpful.

Smelly discharge after tummy tuck indicates infection.

+1

Hi.

I would see your plastic surgeon right away.  You may have some infected buried stitches which need to be removed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Smelly Drainage from Belly Button after Surgery is NOT "Normal"

+1

A smelly discharge 2 months after surgery is NOT normal. You should be seen by your surgeon to rule out a possible abscess or infected seroma.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD

Smelly drainage from the belly button post TT

+1

This is not normal, but may not be too bad.  This type of drainage is usually an indication that something is either locally inflammed or that a local "pocket" of fluid has found its way to the surface.  Usually this is associated with a suture that has "spit" and requires removal. 

Either way, this is usually something that can be fixed easily by your PS. Call him/her immediately to schedule another follow up ASAP. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding from navel after TT

+1

You are best off seeing your surgeon for a proper answer after an examination. It sounds likely that there may be an undissolved suture in the area that needs to be removed, and if that is correct, it should resolve the problem.

Best wishes