Is an SMAS Facelift a Good Choice for Me? How is Recovery?

Hello, I am 46 years old. I have a slight waddle on my neck line...no fat, just skin. I have slight jowling and nasal labial folds. Overall I look very young, great skin, etc. Would an SMAS lift be a good choice for my situation? Also, what can I expect for recovery? My doctor has recommended a SMAS over a mini...says it is better and lasts much longer. I am mainly worried about going too far, looking unnatural, and having a difficult recovery if I go the more aggressive route.

SMAS Facelift over Minilift

+1

The SMAS facelift will usually give a better result, and, from your description, I think your doctor is giving you sound advice.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift choice

+1

At 46 years of age there are probably minimal signs of aging.  If a picture were present it would enable us to give a better opinion.  Without a picture it is hard to give a solid opinion.  A mini lift tends to give mini results.  A mini lift will only raise the jowls and not address any issues of the aging neck.  A comprehensive SMAS face/neck lift addresses jowls, sagging facial and neck skin, along with tightening the neck muscles, the SMAS, and removal of fatty deposits in the neck.  In our practice, patients undergoing a full comprehensive SMAS facelift are in their 50s and 60s.  For further examples of our surgical results, please refer to the link below.

SMAS Facelift Choices and Recovery

+1

With a SMAS facelift such as the  Lite Lift™ you can achieve natural results. The benefits of SMAS tightening is that it supports the overlying soft tissues and most surgeons feel that there is more lasting benefit. There are many ways to perform the SMAS lift and we prefer minimal a minimal scar technique for faster recovery. To learn more see the links provided. Remember it is the skill of the surgeon that makes the most difference, not the specific technique.

Like you, our patients want to look like themselves, but more rested and youthful. Because of its minimally-invasive counter-gravity nature, the Lite Lift™ rejuvenates the face without altering its essential character. Our patients often say that their friends comment on their refreshed appearance, but never guess that they’ve had surgery. Healing time for the Lite-lift™ is relatively quick, requiring no more than a week or two for most patients’ early recovery period. While you heal, you will be seen frequently by the doctor and his staff to make sure that all of their instructions are being followed and your recovery is going well. The additional treatments noted above can lengthen the recovery period depending upon the number of areas treated. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

SMAS facelift is a good choice

+1

SMAS facelift generally is a good choice because it tightens the base on which the skin is redraped.  There are some studies that show that the incidence of complications with extensive SMAS surgery are greater and some show that the SMAS tightening does not give a long-lasting effect.  However, most surgeons feel that if there is a relaxed SMAS, that the patient is better off with a moderate SMASectomy with permanent closure.  The SMAS can be combined with a mini-lift to give more tightness to the nasolabial folds and jowls as well as the submental neck area.  This can be done and you can still look natural. The main thing is that you have confidence in your surgeon and in the advice he or she gives you.

James Carraway, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based on your description a SMAS facelift is likely a very good option. The results are robust and the ability to tighten the neck is very good. Most patients look presentable at about one week and very good at 2-3 weeks. The biggest recovery issues are related to bruising and swelling. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smas facelift would be excellant choice for you.

+1

If you are thin with no excess fat, a SMAS facelift with only SMAS plication should give you a superior result if performed by an experienced facelift surgeon.  Using the SMAS plication will help tighten the deeper tissues and contour your neck and jawline so the skin can be redraped over the new foundation  with minimum tension, giving you a natural look.  As the SMAS is not dissected at all, just tightened, the recovery is quick with minimal bruising and excellent contour.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

SMAS Facelift

+1

From your description it sounds like a SMAS facelift would be a good choice for you. Your results would last a lot longer than a mini facelift and will look natural when done by an experienced surgeon.