Options for Correcting SMAS Face Lift Scars?

I had a SMAS Face Lift, Brow Lift, and Liposuction under my chin in June 2008. The scar in front of my ear is perfectly hidden on one side, but is very visible on the other side. What can be done about this? I have been given cortisone injections on my neck and behind my ears because the incision scars were thick. Do I need scar revision or some kind of laser treatment for these scars?

Scar Revision first followed by kenalog / lasers

+2

At this stage it will probably be best for you to have a scar revision procedure done. While this is a surgical approach it is not as intensive as having a facelift done.

It will be important for your surgeon to create some laxity under the skin surrounding the scar so as to minimize tension as it heals. 

Close followup will be important after the revision as kenalog injections, lasers or silicone sheeting can be used to help the healing move along well.

Wishing you well,

Dr. J

Scar revision of a facelift scar that is thick and red

+2

Scar revision surgery + a combination of fractional co2 laser and pulsed dye laser will help the scar.  I have performed both surgical and non surgical treatments with great success.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scars following a SMAS facelift

+2

Facelifts with or without a SMAS plication use the same incisions genenrally, so the scar is unrelated to the SMAS. Scars from facelifts are usually imperceptable. Ocassionally, however, somene will develope an unsightly scar. Forget the laser. The scar must be revised and all tension taken off of the scar closure.This should give you the best chance for a good scar. A post-operative silicone cream or gel may also be a good idea to minimize the scar. Good luck.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Scar after a facelift

+2

wait a year and simply revise scar with a little tightening if needed. you can do it on both sides at the same time, under local and I don't generally cgarge my pts for the "touch up". don't bother with injections in front of the ear, likewise with lasers. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Invisible Scars: the holy grail of plastic surgery!

+2

Making scars disappear is the holy grail of plastic surgery - we are still searching for it! Scars that are thick, or "hypertrophic," are problems once they've developed, and patients who develop unsightly scars will likely heal the same way with simple scar revision unless additional treatments are performed. There's no quick fix: waiting 1-2 years, using massage techniques, silicone gel sheeting, or topical creams have good intentions - and they can't hurt - but they may be ineffective in the long term. However, scars that stand out from the surrounding skin can be made much less noticeable through laser therapy. Depending on the appearance of your scar, laser treatment can address unwanted pinkness or pigmentation of the scar, and can smooth, soften, and flatten the scar, as well. One thing is for certain: be sure to seek out a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive experience specifically in scar treatment - gentle energy settings need to be used in treating scar tissue so as not to re-trigger the skin-healing response that initiated the scar formation in the first place. This can be as much an art as a science.

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

Bad scars after a facelift are very unusual but can be revised.

+2

Do not laser your scars.  It doesn't work.  Bad scars after facelift are frankly rare.   The skin should not be under significant tension after the operation.  If the scars have spread or are thickened after 2 years, you definitely should have a revision. Careful post-operative management should leave you with a good result. I would like to see a picture of your scars.

Scar revision

+2

Nobody is  quite sure why one side would heal well and the other side doesn't. I have performed many vertical Vector SMAS facelifts and rarely this occurs. It sounds to me that a scar revision surgery may be your best bet.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Very peculiar

+1

The healing rate of one side over another might be due to a condition, or even to just the environment there are way too many factors to judge at this point, It would help if you sent us some pictures that we might evaluate and come up with a more powerful solution.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Facelift Scars Two Years Out

+1

Something can always be done to make scars less noticeable. In this case, the trick to revising scar in front of the ear and leaving imperceptible scars is to have enough skin to cover the area left by the excised original scar and closing the advanced skin under little tension. At 2 years out from a facelift, there should be enough laxity of the skin in front of the scars to allow coverage of the area of scar to be excised.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Scar After Facelift

+1

It may be best for you to have scar revision with meticulous postoperative observation. It is also a good idea to make sure that any areas of redness are treated with 5FU so that you may see optimal results.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD