Smartlipo on a Very Thin Person

I wear a size 1. I am 19, 5'6 and weigh around 112 pounds. I just had my free consultation and basically got the response I knew I would probably get, "You really don't need this treatment". Well here's the thing, I know I don't NEED this treatment but there is some excess fat in my lower abdomen that I'd really like to get rid of permanently. I am an active person, and work hard to get my abs to show through, and I thought with the Smartlipo treatment it would really help. Any thoughts?

Liposuction, smart laser liposuction, liposuction complications

+1

In my mind, the best way to treat this area, bar none, is smart laser liposuction. it is fast, has little pain, and gets great results. However, be careful when choosing your liposuction surgeon. You can find out how in the book "Don't Choose A Cosmetic Surgeon Without Me"

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is not permanent

+1
Liposuction is not permanent and you could increase volume there if you gain weight. You should only have surgery if your surgeon says you're a candidate.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Smartlipo: NOT ideal for a very thin, 19 year old person

+1

I would need to assess your contour, skin tone, and distribution of fat with a formal physical exam. However, based on the information you shared, you are not an ideal candidate for a Smartlipo treatment. Even though Smartlipo can have an abs-sculpting effect, you may not have enough fat for this treatment.

The timing of a Smartlipo treatment is also important to consider.  Studies show that our bodies can produce new fat cells through adolescence. After adolescence, roughly the age of 20, the number of fat cells is fixed. With a stable number of fat cells, the procedure is more likely to be a one-time intervention. Unless the immediate perfection of your abdomen is crucial for a modeling career, it is better to wait for the Smartlipo treatment until the post-adolescent phase of life when your number of fat cells is stable, and select a time to do it when your body is in a stable metabolic state.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo

+1

It is difficult to say what you would get wihtou a formal exam.  Realistic expectations are also important.