Lumps After SmartLipo MPX Related to Fat Reabsorption?

Five weeks ago, I had SmartLipo with the newer equipment that promotes the best skin tightening (MPX), which I see here is good.

Although my lower abdomen is flat, it has hard lumpy spots. My upper abdomen had a few hard spots and seems to have a "roll" that is still numb, tender and sore.

I was told 1100 ccs were removed, but does any of the fat affected by the laser get reabsorbed by the body or is it all suctioned out? Would this have anything to do with why I have the lumpy spots?

Lumps are completely normal at 5 weeks

+1

We see a significant amount of patients around the one month post operative time that come in with some unevenness, etc. Without seeing you, it is very difficult to diagnose that this is the case, but it sounds like a normal occurrence following this procedure. Our bodies go through a variety of normal inflammatory responses following trauma to the tissue. Ie: surgery. This includes these "bricks" and lumpy feeling tissue that most people feel. Most of this should subside in a couple more weeks. I would touch base with the physician that did your procedure to make sure that they Agee, since they know you personally. I hope this helps.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Smart Lipo

+1

Any time that fat is traumatized, there will be temporary lumpiness and numbness.  I have not found this to be any worse with Smart Lipo than with traditional liposculpture.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Lumps AFter SmartLipo

+1

My experience when comparing my patients who have had SmartLipo MPX to those who have had traditional lipo is that lumps can occur in both groups, but they may be a bit more common after SmartLipo.  It may be from some of the liquified fat remaining behind and causing prolonged swelling or hardness.

I recommend and provide lymphatic massage for all of my lipo patients, and this really seems to help in the 4-6 week period after surgery.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Lumps after Smart Lipo

+1

Lumps and prolonged tenderness are common after Smart Lipo.

The lumps are secondary to dead unresorbed fat which forms a ridge of scar tissue. I would recommend use of compression to diminish swelling and modulate the scar.

The tenderness is due to the fact that the fat melted includes that fat inside the protective cells that wrap around nerve cells (Schwann cells).

Check out the link below for an explanation of the differences between heat energy lipo (Laser, Ultrasound) and conventional suction lipo and why some surgeons who have tried both still prefer suction lipo. The video also has more info.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Sounds normal: lumps after smart lipo

+1

Yes, the lumps are most likely due to unresorbed destroyed fat. Most of the time, your body will reabsorb this over time and become softer. Discuss this with your surgeon. Some advise various technologies to promote softening of the lumps.

Lumps after Smart Lipo is usually swelling

+1

The large area you describe in your lower abdomen without seeing you seems to be the swelling settling with gravity. 4000cc is on the high side to be associated with Smart Lipo, but a Lipo of that magnatude would most likely have more swellling

Having done the research studies in this, the other reson to have firmness is fromm a high degree of laser energy in the fat (deep layer).

For swelling, your best treatment is compression, massage, and a treatment by a similar machine made by the Smart Lipo company called the Triactive.

You should really show this to your doctor to have them advise you what to do next

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon