Smart Lipo Before Pregnancy: What Will Happen to Skin?

I want to have Smart :ipo to get rid of the love handles, but I may want to have another child in 2 or 3 years. What will happen to my skin if I get pregnant after Smart Lipo? Will I gain back the fat on the treated areas after pregnancy?

You won't gain it back in the treated areas

+3

The flanks are good areas for liposuction because the skin is thick and healthy there and shrinks well. The fat cells that are removed are gone permanently, so you will not tend to regain weight there.

It is not the "Smart lipo" doing that, as this will happen with traditional liposuction, which works just as well if not better than Smart lipo.

All depends on your skin tone and elasticity

+1

Flank liposuction will remove the excess fat in this area and will tighten the skin to a certain degree. If you already have a lot of excess skin this might not be the ideal procedure.

With pregnancy you will gain weight in different body parts. Following pregnancy you will loose a large part of this weight. There will be some excess skin after pregancy.It is very hard to determine how much excess skin you could have after pregnancy and delivery. The flank area has thicker skin (dermis) and will get better contraction. The usual redundancy and stretch marks develop around the belly button are where the maximum distention. Regarding return of fat to same area, all depends on how much weight gain you will have. I hope that would help.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Shape after pregnancy can be very unpredictable.

+1

What ever procedure you use to modify your shape the resulting shape you will have after pregnancy is very unpredictable. I prefer LipoLite and Vaser technology to modify body shape because it is more aggressive and the skin tightening is better than with traditional liposuction.

Talmage J. Raine, MD